Sony RX100 - Thoughts?

Soldato
I made a thread earlier regarding a sub £200 compact camera as lugging my D550 around with it's lenses in the camera bag is just not ideal. And my S3 is simply not great for pictures...

Soooo, after reading a ton of reviews. I have decided to go for the Sony RX100, reserved on at a local indy camera shop and picking it up tomorrow.

Can't wait! Anyone own one?

Soldato
OP
Wow, what n amazing discussion. The price as most will agree was a little off putting. However, I wanted the best quality possible in the smallest package possible. And the RX100 gives me that, all be it at a price.

The main reason I don't want to lug my kit around is simply for my trips out. When I know I will be getting into some serious photography scenarios, such as equstrian shooting, motorsports shooting, family portraits and the likes. I will take my kit.

However, I mainly wanted similar quality in the size of a padded wallet (mind the pun). So for those days when I am moving around a lot, I see something brilliant, I don't have to stop, put the lens on, set the camera up, point and finally click. I want to simply pull a camera out of my pocket, grab a great snap and carry on.

I mentioned this to a couple of camera enthusiasts at work, and whilst initially they said the money is not worth it for a 'point and click' camera. After showing them reviews, 2 of them are considering getting one! It really has got brilliant potential.

The only downside I can see, not much config on the raw side of things. But hey, I am contradicting my self, I want a quick draw shot. This gives me that.

This last point will probably scare a few of you, but hey. I hate trying to grab snaps of a night out with friends. Tonight infact there is a huge work thing going on in the local pub. 2 people are leaving and a lot are gathering to see these good people off. Now, I would normally have 2 optioins.

1) Go home, grab my kit bag and setup the D550 and carry that around until 10pm
2) Use my S3... Yea...

But with the RX100, which is said to be brilliant in this scenario (low light), it will be brilliant. I will get similar quality from a pocket camera! No worries about flash and light bounce as if the flash is needed but over powering, I can bounce it as it's adjustable!

Overall, it sounds like I am trying to convince my self as it is a large chunk of money. But honestly, one choice sold it to me last night.

"India coming up again in feb... To take the D550???", didn't do it last year, really regretted it. Only had my Go Pro which was amazing for water video footage such as kayaking through the jungles, motorbike trips on the royal enfield through crop fields and jungles. But for evenings out with fellow backpackers, sunset shots etc etc. It sucked.

This year, I will have something small, in a normal case. That won't appeal to thiefs more than a bag full of very expensive kit! Not to mention, I am visiting Holland, Germany and Sweden in October haha. Again, this camera will be perfect for all scenarios I hope.

Soldato
OP
Wow, this little beast has some bark! Fantastic quality, straight out of the box, a few shots and I am blown away!

Currently charging on the mains before I leave work at 3, mate is driving him self to the hospital in my car so I can play with the camera haha. Don't worry, he is fine, but I have to drive him back :(

At least I get 45 mins of fast moving picture testing!!! Oooo, feel like a child with a new toy... Wait a min lol.

Soldato
OP
Sooo, head is a little fuzzy and I will be honest, I am rather hung over after being dragged to a night club and forced to drink vile shots. I asked for a ale from tap "sorry, all we have is magners"... Shiver...

Anyway, I was very cautious with the camera, but regardless of my drunken ability to shoot photos, they came out fantastically!

I tweaked with the settings a little, but generally left it on auto all night long. Minor annoyances, sometimes, it just won't take the picture. It focuses in, sorts its self out, but no. Won't take a picture. Unsure if it's a setting, or a feature. Happens everynow and then.

Anyway, low light conditions... Not a problem :D This thing was small and handy, stayed in my pocket until I saw a photo opportunity!

I will upload some pics in a bit. I will not alter them, they will be direct from the camera :)

Overall first impressions. 9/10

Bad points that knocked 1 off are the photo thing, not taking a picture. However, this is probably me being an idiot and not turning something on/off or setting something up. So, consider it a 9/10. The other down side, it's a little annoying having to grip it like your life depended on it. Really would have liked a rubber contact area on the front right side to help with grip. But, it's small, my hands cup it rather than grip it!

Soldato
OP
For me, the RX100 won hands down, enough so for me to make a higher investment. But, as stated, the X10 doesn't even fit in my back pocket, which to me pulls it away from the 'compact camera' group. The RX100 was in my pocket all of Friday night unless I was shooting. Not in the way in the slightest :)

Soldato
OP
I only have to look at that photo to see what the RX100 is capable of.

Thanks, it is brilliant, totally auto settings as I have yet to get used to the menu layout on the RX100... A bit fiddly it seems, but never used a Sony camera so just have to adjust.

But yea, quick snap of him messing around, fidgeting, overcast weather. Click, snap, picture taken at what I would consider, on par with a low end DSLR.

Soldato
OP
Meh. Still think the fuji produces better shots myself.

The huge thread on talk photography has some stunners in it too

That's cool, each to their own opinion.

But for me, the RX100 wins hands down without breaking a sweat :)

A couple of pics playing with with pre set effects. The first is with the pre set miniaturisation mode at the bottom of the screen. The vividness is a little over the top for me personally. But for a pre set. Not bad!

Second, just took that, very low light situation. Focus point manually locked into my mouse. Everything else auto.

http://i.imgur.com/lsKNp.jpg - mini mode

http://i.imgur.com/iysIL.jpg - VERY low light desk shot

Both of those shots are 'ok' for me. I personally would tweak a little, but for auto settings. Not bad!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Was considering getting a G1X due to the large sensor, but this Sony is allot smaller, 1.3 stops faster at the wide end, which I'm thinking will probably make up for the smaller sensor in terms of DOF and ISO is pretty comparable to.

Just wondering what video is like, as I want to do some video's for marketing purposes. Also wondering if the sound quality will be good enough indoors, although I noticed in the menu options it has some noise reduction options for the audio.

I will take 2 videos tomorrow outside near a main road if you like, one with and one without noise reduction. I will walk up and down a road.

The quality from what little footage I have taken, is amazing! Camera handles shaking amazingly!

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E5YT4a7z7A

Soldato
OP
Sorry I didn't do the videos yesterday, I had a manic evening! Spent the hours from 4:30pm to 9pm stripping my cars engine trying to fault find 3 issues :( 2 of which are resolved. So will be spending the rest of the evening doing the remaining tonight.

However, I can take a couple of videos tomorrow, that way I can test several things. I will go down to the yard (stables) and record low light and high light transition from the barn to outside, not to mention, it is pretty windy there so brilliant way to test noise reduction.

Back
Top Bottom