Sony RX100 - Thoughts?

Caporegime
The nex-7 has no optical viewfinder and things like dual card slots, phase detection af, much much better battery life and weather sealing which are very important so I don't think you can say they have comparable features. The D7000 is also considerably cheaper.

The 5N and the D7000, A55, D5100 all share the SAME sensor?

They don't all perform the same though on the different bodies.

Last edited:
Soldato
The nex-7 has no optical viewfinder and things like dual card slots and weather sealing which is very important so I don't think you can say they have the same features.

They don't all perform the same though on the different bodies.

They are COMPARABLE feature wise not identical, the Nex-7 has one of if not the best EVF on the market, while the D7000 has an optical, so COMPARABLE, the Nex-7 has a fold out screen where the D7000 doesn't but then the D7000 has twin SD card slots...generally they are in a simliar space for the market for features and performance.

The premium for a like for like system comparing Mirrorless to DSLR is now small, when you compare the cameras that are aimed at the same market segments.

Soldato
So this is a thread about the RX100 and now someone is whinging that the NEX7 costs more than the D5100?? WTF?? Big furry deal. A D7000 costs more than a D5100,and perhaps that chap should go into threads talking about D7000 cameras and tell the people to get D5100 bodies instead.

:rolleyes:

Caporegime
So this is a thread about the RX100 and now someone is whinging that the NEX7 costs more than the D5100?? WTF?? Big furry deal. A D7000 costs more than a D5100,and perhaps that chap should go into threads talking about D7000 cameras and tell the people to get D5100 bodies instead.

:rolleyes:

The D7100 has much more advanced features than the D5100, so that doesn't make sense. The same cannot be said of the NEX-7 however.

Soldato
The D7100 has much more advanced features than the D5100, so that doesn't make sense. The same cannot be said of the NEX-7 however.

Yawn. All you are doing is attempting to thrash this thread. Go and get your D5100 - don't try to justify it to us.

Moreover,I know enough about the D7000,as I am looking to get one or a K5 with a 150-500MM lens in the near future. I don't want your advice.

Also,the NEX7 is a high end mirrorless camera build like a tank,aimed at a different market,just like the X PRO 1 and Leica mirrorless cameras. If you want value for money, the 16MP NEX5N and NEX F3 are under £400 for the standard kit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Moreover,I know enough about the D7000,as I am looking to get one or a K5 with a 150-500MM lens in the near future. I don't want your advice.

I'm not giving you any advice, nor do I care to. Just stating the facts as they are. :) Mirrorless cameras were mentioned and I agreed that they were unsuitable for the op due to their large size and price. Someone then came in then saying there is no premium and I showed evidence to the contrary, lens prices still haven't been taken into account but there you go.

Soldato
I'm not giving you any advice, nor do I care to. Just stating the facts as they are. :) Mirrorless cameras were mentioned and I agreed that they were unsuitable for the op due to their large size and price. Someone then came in then saying there is no premium and I showed evidence to the contrary, lens prices still haven't been taken into account but there you go.

No you are not stating many facts,just warping them,actually, as like I mentioned(and others have) the NEX 5N and NEX F3 cost under £400 for the standard kit(same basic 16MP sensor found in multiple dSLRs too). Hence,there is no premium for the cameras. There are also the m4/3 cameras like the G3 which do have slightly more compact lenses and are still under £400 for the basic kit.

The NEX7 is a high end mirrorless camera and has a price to match. There are loads of cheaper mirrorless cameras out there so cherry picking one of the most expensive ones,is just suiting whatever agenda you are having. The X Pro1 costs more than even the NEX7 for instance.

I am not even interested in a mirrorless and know this.

Perhaps,start a thread on why people would get a mirrorless over a dSLR - that should help answer your questions. This is the real question you are asking after all??

Last edited:
Caporegime
The sensor is much larger in the XZ-1 so when it comes to DoF and actual low light performance I believe the RX100 will still be better. but I haven't done the math.

EDIT - I found a 35mm equivalent chart for these cameras, XZ-1 is F/8.5-11.8, and RX100 F/4.9-13.4. So yeah the RX100 will be better through most of the focal range.

The Canon G1 X came up at slightly cheaper than the RX100 and is 28-112mm F5.2-10.7 equiv which beats both really. Sensor is 2.25x larger than the Sony!

Perhaps,start a thread on why people would get a mirrorless over a dSLR - that should help answer your questions. This is the real question you are asking after all??

I've researched the issue and it essentially came down to the 50+ group having arthritis or something and not being able to carry another 200g of weight based on what I read, or trying to sneak higher end camera equipment past security at events.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've researched the issue and it essentially came down to the 50+ group having arthritis or something and not being able to carry another 200g of weight based on what I read, or trying to sneak higher end camera equipment past security at events.

What an incredibly dumb and misinformed statement, but given some of the other posts not overly surprised...

But back to the request for some samples

Untitled by j1nxy, on Flickr

So far I've been extremely impressed with the camera, how it handles and it's speed of response. The AF is very fast and shot to shot times are very good. Using it in restaurants etc has been really good, without the need to use a flash, which can if needed be bounced.

Video recording is very good as well with the camera slowing down the zoom and the IS producing very stable images whilst being able to capture very smooth action.

I'm very pleased with it and as a pocket camera its superb.

Soldato
OP
Wow, what n amazing discussion. The price as most will agree was a little off putting. However, I wanted the best quality possible in the smallest package possible. And the RX100 gives me that, all be it at a price.

The main reason I don't want to lug my kit around is simply for my trips out. When I know I will be getting into some serious photography scenarios, such as equstrian shooting, motorsports shooting, family portraits and the likes. I will take my kit.

However, I mainly wanted similar quality in the size of a padded wallet (mind the pun). So for those days when I am moving around a lot, I see something brilliant, I don't have to stop, put the lens on, set the camera up, point and finally click. I want to simply pull a camera out of my pocket, grab a great snap and carry on.

I mentioned this to a couple of camera enthusiasts at work, and whilst initially they said the money is not worth it for a 'point and click' camera. After showing them reviews, 2 of them are considering getting one! It really has got brilliant potential.

The only downside I can see, not much config on the raw side of things. But hey, I am contradicting my self, I want a quick draw shot. This gives me that.

This last point will probably scare a few of you, but hey. I hate trying to grab snaps of a night out with friends. Tonight infact there is a huge work thing going on in the local pub. 2 people are leaving and a lot are gathering to see these good people off. Now, I would normally have 2 optioins.

1) Go home, grab my kit bag and setup the D550 and carry that around until 10pm
2) Use my S3... Yea...

But with the RX100, which is said to be brilliant in this scenario (low light), it will be brilliant. I will get similar quality from a pocket camera! No worries about flash and light bounce as if the flash is needed but over powering, I can bounce it as it's adjustable!

Overall, it sounds like I am trying to convince my self as it is a large chunk of money. But honestly, one choice sold it to me last night.

"India coming up again in feb... To take the D550???", didn't do it last year, really regretted it. Only had my Go Pro which was amazing for water video footage such as kayaking through the jungles, motorbike trips on the royal enfield through crop fields and jungles. But for evenings out with fellow backpackers, sunset shots etc etc. It sucked.

This year, I will have something small, in a normal case. That won't appeal to thiefs more than a bag full of very expensive kit! Not to mention, I am visiting Holland, Germany and Sweden in October haha. Again, this camera will be perfect for all scenarios I hope.

Soldato
For what you want the camera is pretty much ideal, and to be honest is why I bought mine, I don't want to be taking a DSLR or Mirrorless camera with me everywhere and especially nights out.

Soldato
Hey yeah the RX100 looks like a pretty nice small camera, have a look around on flikr groups and some reviews and it can take really good photos. There's a bunch on here who just can't seem to accept that smaller than DSLR cameras are viable, even when they do it's usually only one makes that they will accept, it's like nvidia vs ati all over again.

Since getting a nex 5n I've stopped using my D300, I can take the 5n with a couple of primes around with me all the time without really thinking about it but to do it with the D300 is a choir. Try getting a massive DSLR + lenses in your tank bag :p

Soldato
OP
Wow, this little beast has some bark! Fantastic quality, straight out of the box, a few shots and I am blown away!

Currently charging on the mains before I leave work at 3, mate is driving him self to the hospital in my car so I can play with the camera haha. Don't worry, he is fine, but I have to drive him back :(

At least I get 45 mins of fast moving picture testing!!! Oooo, feel like a child with a new toy... Wait a min lol.

Soldato
OP
Sooo, head is a little fuzzy and I will be honest, I am rather hung over after being dragged to a night club and forced to drink vile shots. I asked for a ale from tap "sorry, all we have is magners"... Shiver...

Anyway, I was very cautious with the camera, but regardless of my drunken ability to shoot photos, they came out fantastically!

I tweaked with the settings a little, but generally left it on auto all night long. Minor annoyances, sometimes, it just won't take the picture. It focuses in, sorts its self out, but no. Won't take a picture. Unsure if it's a setting, or a feature. Happens everynow and then.

Anyway, low light conditions... Not a problem :D This thing was small and handy, stayed in my pocket until I saw a photo opportunity!

I will upload some pics in a bit. I will not alter them, they will be direct from the camera :)

Overall first impressions. 9/10

Bad points that knocked 1 off are the photo thing, not taking a picture. However, this is probably me being an idiot and not turning something on/off or setting something up. So, consider it a 9/10. The other down side, it's a little annoying having to grip it like your life depended on it. Really would have liked a rubber contact area on the front right side to help with grip. But, it's small, my hands cup it rather than grip it!

Back
Top Bottom