Sony TV sound issues

Associate
Wondering if anyone knows what might be causing a sound issue with my TV?

Its a Sony KDL48 smart TV, which I've had for about 3 or 4 years.

No external speakers, so we rely on the TV's speakers (which I presume may be part of the problem).

Hooked up to it, are a BT youview box, a Sony Blu-ray player, and a small NowTV streaming box.

If watching TV through the unit's inbuilt HD freeview tuner, the sound is perfect - all in balance and fine, dialogue completely audible over other sounds. The TV has Netflix, Amazon Prime apps built in, and if you use them on the TV, the sound is also fine. Turn on the BT box and watch TV via that, and it also seems fine.

BUT, as soon as you try and watch a Blu-ray, or stream something via the NowTV box, the sound is completely banjaxed - dialogue is completely unintelligible as background noise (e.g. rain, or whatever other sounds are present) completely drowns it out.

I read somewhere that the its because the sound is trying to play in 5.1, and the TV isn't doing a good job of playing it through the inbuilt stereo speakers. But it simply won't let me change the sound output.

When the last Game of Thrones season came out, I had to buy a wireless headset in order to be able to hear the dialogue when streaming if on the NowTV box.

My old TV didn't do it (also a Sony), and if I cast my mind back, I'm pretty sure this TV didn't do it when it was new, but perhaps I'm wrong.

At the moment, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and replacing it, as I haven't been able to watch any of my DVDs/blu-rays for the last couple of years.

Soldato
set the external boxes driving the tv to send it stereo pcm ..... I have that on a roku box which is re-branded by nowtv.

*BUT* nowtv does not have 5.1 anyway just a poor stereo ~128Kb/s aac 2.0 .. that's the worst thing about nowtv, the 720 doesn't annoy me

Back
Top Bottom