• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soo confused - need new card - plz pick one!

Associate
Hi All,

After reading the forums for past couple of weeks now and looking at whats the best option for my upgrade i think i i have my system spec sorted now through what people have recommended, but i seem to be more confused as to *** GFX card i should get, so i have looked on OCUK and found the best cards i can find for around my budget of £150.
Please let me know which is the best option from below, i will probably be lookin to try my first overclock so if there is a card cheaper that i could clock up to match some of the better cards let me know.

HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ 3 TURBO SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1950 Pro Extreme SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 VIVO HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

HIS ATI Radeon X1650 XT ICEQ Turbo 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Leadtek GeForce 7950 GT 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

OcUK Galaxy GeForce 7900 GS OC SILENT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

BFG GeForce 7900 GS OC 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

thanks all!

Only really play FPS games - COD,BF2,HL2,CS:S etc..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok thanks,
i just read a post a min ago the competition seems to be between the

HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ 3 TURBO SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

OcUK Galaxy GeForce 7900 GS OC SILENT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

is that right?

Soldato
Nickg said:
Leadtek GeForce 7950 GT 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

is the FASTEST one there by a shot and a half. not sure where axelrose getting his info from. id like to see his sources if possible?

That would be reviews I've seen previously which say the 7900GT is roughly the same speed, if slightly shy of the x1950pro, and when i look at reviews I tend to look at several sites including anandtech etc. Having seen reviews of the 7950GT, I've also seen it beaten soundly by the x1900xt, which the x1950pro isnt much slower than. As a refresh, I highly doubt the 7950GT is a huge shot faster, than the 7900GT very likely around the same speed with a mild speed bost. As the X1950 supports more features and is roughly the same speed give or take 1/2fps, then I'd rather have more features.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok thanks,

so if its between those 3 cards, which would be the best option if i was thinking of overclocking, is there one that i could get for cheaper but overclock so that its running at the same speed as the others??

bare in mind i have never overclocked before, so if there are some cards easier to do than others than could also help.

Soldato
Personally I'd knock the 7900GS out of the equation, it IS slower than either of the two cards mentioned above. Overclocking wise I cant offer much experience, except to say I've heard 79~~ series clock well, and same of the x1950 pro.

Soldato
Nickg said:
okay Axelrose1, well before you continue to give people bad advice, id take a look into the numbers if i were you!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7950gt_5.html

Also looking at those results, I'd ask you to flick over to the next page of the review you yourself posted. Its LOSING to the x1950 in other games than battlefield, and coming the same elsewhere. They are similar speeds, the x1950pro has more features.

Caporegime
Alexrose1uk said:
Also looking at those results, I'd ask you to flick over to the next page of the review you yourself posted. Its LOSING to the x1950 in other games than battlefield, and coming the same elsewhere. They are similar speeds, the x1950pro has more features.

oh got! your looking at the x1900XT not the pro. if you do flick over the page you'll note that the 7950 beats the X1950Pro in virtually every game...read all the pages and tell me the 1950Pro beats the 7950...

Soldato
I have. I regularly read anandtech etc. I have also read the above review, and the x1950pro and 7950GT are coming out at roughly the same speed, give or take in different games, as USUAL between ATI and Nvidia, however, unlike the 7950, the x1950 can do HDR+AA, which is an added feature the Nvidia card cannot.

Soldato
Are you blind?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/geforce7950gt/pier_hdr.gif
.2fps in it. They are roughly the same speed, the x1950 pro has more features. Is this so hard to understand?

Reviews swing either way, which is why Im taking an average view based upon several different review sites. Win some lose some is the way of higher end gfx. There isnt much between the two cards, and one has more features.

I dont know noise wise where they stand.

Anyway, I'd like to stop what rapidly seems to be decending into bickering. We're talking PC hardware here, theres no need to squabble, we've provided the OP with some info anyway which is always good :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
no but you may be,

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7950gt_8.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7950gt_9.html

we are talking 10, 20 and even 30% in instances!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7950gt_10.html

we are talking 10fps difference in OBLIVION in virtually EVERY Resolution thats 33% speed increase,

so how can you possibly say the x1950 is faster?

edit, im not going to bicker, or dwell on this. i just hope the OP doesnt get frustrated with our to-ing and fro-ing, and reads the reviews and chooses the card which gives him the best value for money basing his facts on the numbers and not heresay and theresay

Last edited:
Associate
Alexrose1uk said:

C'mon mate, read the whole review rather than seeing only what you want to see. The 7950gt is on average comfortably faster than than the x1950pro and is never more than 1 fps slower whereas the pro can be up to 20 fps behind. Also your statement that the pro isn't far behind the x1900xt is wrong. The x1900xt is in a different league to the x1950 pro. And from the reviews I've read the x1950pro doesn't seem to be a great clocker.

Soldato
And Im talking more than one review site here.

Please read ALL of a post before jumping to conclusions. At higher resses the difference is negligible, and the ATI card can do HDR + AA in games like Oblivion. High end gfx cards are pretty pointless at low res, so I place more emphasis in higher res gaming. The card is roughly the same speed, and has another feature, which some games support, like Oblivion, which is one of the games a lot of people upgrade for.
The 7950 is also £35 more expensive than the x1950. Bang for buck, the x1950 wins IMO, but we're allowed to disagree there. Anyway, as said previously, I'd like to end the arguing, we're both allowed different opinions and I'd rather not take a holiday as I enjoy talking and reading here.

Caporegime
I would get the OcUK GeForce 7900 GS 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

£121.99
£143.34 inc VAT

And run an auto detect in coolbits.

650/1600 would be easy achievable.

:D

Back
Top Bottom