sorry tyre question Toyo Proxes T1-R

Permabanned
Never noticed it was flat tbh, epic fail :/ Point still stands though.

How? The only point I can possibly see about the tyre there is that the sidewalls were soft enough to allow that impact to ocurr, but no matter how stiff the sidewalls are, short of them being solid, the same damage will occur if any tyre is under-inflated, or you hit something like a pot hole hard enough.

I hit a sloped curb with Contisport3's at about 10-15mph, and with tyre pressure around 35psi, and it was still enough to put a bulge in the sidewall and buckle and egg the wheel slightly.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Rather than starting a new thread, which tyres would you recommend for size 235/35/19? I have Sport Contact 3's at the moment and they'll be down to min tread depth rather soon. Ideally I'd like them to be quiet while also providing better traction.

what's wrong with the contis? lack of grip?!
you could try PS2s, but i dread to think how much they'll cost for that size

Continental Premium Contact 2?
got these on the V50 and they're crap in the wet.
or the lack of power means i use too much throttle..
either way, not a massive fan

Permabanned
ContactSport 3's are fantastic tyres, in both the dry and wet, they really are - I've yet to find anything that matches them.

That said, they are pricey, and I'd bet that is why he wants to change.

To give you an example;

1x 225/35/18 CS3 is around £150 delivered.
2x 225/35/18 TR1 - ~£160 delivered.
2x 225/40/18 FK452 - £138 delivered.

So, CS3s are over doubling my tyre expenditure compared to FK452s, whilst they are amazing, they are not twice as good as the FKs, so I'll be switching, as well as going up a profile for that little extra comfort and feedback (plus 40 profiles seem to be cheaper across the board, probably because they are more common)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
i have conti 3s and they are very good, which is why i was surprised that Princey wants more grip :p

and yes, i also know that they're expensive. they're double the price of FK452s because FK452s are ****.
i don't see why you should skimp on tyres. if you can't afford good tyres, get smaller wheels.

Soldato
How? The only point I can possibly see about the tyre there is that the sidewalls were soft enough to allow that impact to ocurr, but no matter how stiff the sidewalls are, short of them being solid, the same damage will occur if any tyre is under-inflated, or you hit something like a pot hole hard enough.

I hit a sloped curb with Contisport3's at about 10-15mph, and with tyre pressure around 35psi, and it was still enough to put a bulge in the sidewall and buckle and egg the wheel slightly.
My point was they have soft sidewalls, which they do, undisputedly. This property is what makes so many serious drivers report that they make a car drive like ass. You'll notice I was quite careful with my words though, I never said they are bad. There are plenty of hardened fans and I'm told they are or at least were the fastest tyre amongst the MSA permitted Production tyres.

i have conti 3s and they are very good, which is why i was surprised that Princey wants more grip :p

and yes, i also know that they're expensive. they're double the price of FK452s because FK452s are ****.
i don't see why you should skimp on tyres. if you can't afford good tyres, get smaller wheels.

FK452 are ****? Just LOL.

Permabanned
FK452s are ****.

I'd have to disagree there, having had them my Corrado VR6, and them being praised by plenty of owners on the VXR owners club (Corsa VXRs came with CS2 or 3 standard)

There is also a big difference between being able to afford something, and throwing money away.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to pimp Kumho KU31s again. Absolutely stonking tyre for the money, and seem to have a much stiffer sidewall than the Toyos.

for the money i agree, i have them on the A4 at the mo, only a little worse than the eagles that were on it before tbh

Soldato
Similarly, I wouldn't mind some tyre suggestions.

I'm after two sets actually - I need a set of tyres for road wheels in either 14" or 15" guise and a set of track day wheels in 15".

For on the road I was planning on the T1-Rs as it is a favourite among the MX5 owners I know, but after this thread I'm not too sure! I'm thinking that I may spring for some F1 GSD3 for the road (apparently they are brilliant for wet and dry weather, but MELT on track!), and maybe some Paradas for the track.

Yoko Parada's are spoken highly of in the dry, but from what I'm hearing they are suicidal in the wet which seems to be a Yoko trend as the A539s I have are absolutely god awful in the wet, so bad in fact that I haven't switched them over to my new car as I'm genuinely sure the ditchfinders I have on currently offer more wet weather grip!

Going on a 160bhp 205 used daily :)

F1s are very good on the 205...although I've only been a passenger in a standard 1.9.

The sidewalls are soft on the F1s and they suck on track from what I've heard on many different forums. I don't know about track tyres, other than R888s...but they cost a few bob. :p

Associate
I swapped from Sport Contact 2's on my leon to Tr-1's. At first they were so so bad and I thought I'd ruined my car however a few months down the line I'm much happier with them. Dry in the cold and wet is very very good much better than the SC2's.

However said that I'll be trying SC'3's next time around. There's just something I love about the hard compound of the Sport Contacts. (although not in the wet)

Associate
Major sidewall deflection issues..
IMG_1216.jpg

What size are you going for?

This tyre looks like it needs some serious air in it. It's probably under inflated and nothing to do with the side wall? (although I admit they are soft, just not that soft)

Associate
You did notice the huge dent and crack in the rim yes?

I did, I was unsure. The photo makes it look like the wear on the tyre is due to a ultra soft sidewall, however it's just because the tyre is flat.

The tyre is flat because of the crack in the wheel, but what has the crack got to do with a soft side wall. Was probably caused by hitting a large hole?

Soldato
I've had them on my GTi6 for a few years now and have found them great. The wear rate is acceptable, they grip great (especially in the wet) and the sidewalls whilst soft aren't scary or anything.

I may look for something different next time but for the money and considering what else is avalaible in 195/55/15 I'll probably buy them again.

Soldato
( |-| |2 ][ $;15314392 said:
I did, I was unsure. The photo makes it look like the wear on the tyre is due to a ultra soft sidewall, however it's just because the tyre is flat.

The tyre is flat because of the crack in the wheel, but what has the crack got to do with a soft side wall. Was probably caused by hitting a large hole?

Agreed, if the sidewall was particularly weak, I would expect to see it pinched and possibly broken near the dent.

Think that is a pic of someone who has hit a large pothole, broke the rim, and is blaming his tyres.

Man of Honour
the A539s I have are absolutely god awful in the wet, so bad in fact that I haven't switched them over to my new car as I'm genuinely sure the ditchfinders I have on currently offer more wet weather grip!

You need to get some heat in them, trust me they are pretty good in the wet if you work them hard.

Soldato
Falken 452's are better imo, had both and after 3k the toyo's are looking worryingly worn. Are these mystical conti 3's worth the price? i dont mind paying 100 a corner if they last longer then 10k. 225 45 17's

Back
Top Bottom