Sound Blaster Z SE

Associate
OK so I have the Sound Blaster Z SE sound card and the Asus Strix Z690 Gaming mobo. My graphics card takes up the slot for the sound card. Can I use the Pci-e x16 slot at the bottom of my mobo for the sound card?.

Thanks

Soldato
Yes, I expect it should work fine.

Just check the tehnical info for the motherboard. Sometimes using the 2nd PCIe slot causes the primary to run in x8 mode.

Associate
Was in a similar boat myself with my old intel z97 board - I had 2 1x slots, one of which was under the gfx card. I added an internal wifi card to improve reception and had to use a riser card in order to utilise the hidden slot. Not sure if this would be a suitable alternative if using the 2nd slot compromises performance.

The one I bought cost less than a tenner. Two things to be mindful of 1. how much clearance is there under the gfx card? You'll need around 1.5 cm of clearance to enable the connecter to fit and the cable to turn 90 degrees. 2. Where will you put the riser to give you access to the i/o ports on the sound card? As I only needed it for wifi I just laid mine on the bottom of my case and ran the cables out through an empty back plate, you will need to have a spare backplate space beyond the edge of your motherboard in order to fit the soundcard properly with the riser.

Back
Top Bottom