Sound problem

Soldato
Hey guys,

ermmm, where to start,

got a new HTPC this morning, chucked a fresh install of windows 7 on there to get it up and running, all seemed fine, played some music, some videos everything checked out.

rebooted after some updates and no sound,

the mobo is an MSI 880GM-EG41 socket am3? might be am2 not sure yet
sound was being run via the onboard ATI 4250 graphics via the HDMI cable to my tele.
I've tried setting the sound to the HDMI in the sound settings via control panel, but it says the device is not connected, despite it being connected as the display is working just fine, I've tried the HDMI Lead in my downstairs set up from sky box to my other tele and everything works fine so it's not the lead.

Windows is currently saying sound is being routed via the S/PDIF ? although i can't see one on the mobo, let alone anything being plugged into it........

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome indeed.

Soldato
Why not just the onboard sound? Getting a sound card, you are going to be using an analogue cable anyway. Whether it be from the onboard audio, or a sound card.

No need to worry about a sound card having better quality either, as TV speakers are not good enough to reveal any quality a sound card may have over onboard audio.

Back
Top Bottom