Sound via DisplayPort?

Associate
So a good few weeks ago, I was fiddling around with my sound, since I have to manually switch between headphones and speakers by plugging the cable into the back (HP cable to the front of the case isn't possible due to cable management). I saw that in playback devices, my Monitor was listed under Nvidia High-Definition Audio.

Fast forward and the other day I found out that DisplayPort can apparently carry sound? So do I not need to plug in the audio cable into my monitor to use the built-in speakers? Of course, I have a few HDMI ports spare on the HDMI splitter if I can get sound through that like with most modern HDMI devices. But I'd have to buy a new cable and I'd rather use what I already have if possible.

Here's the important bits of my setup (even though some of it is in the sig). Monitor is the Asus VE278Q, GPU is GTX970, Motherboard is Gigabtye Z97X Gaming 7. The monitor is currently connected to the GPU via Displayport and when the headphones aren't plugged in, the monitor also has a regular 3.5mm audio cable connecting it to the sound on the motherboard. Can I really get sound via DisplayPort or even HDMI? Is it ridiculously simple and I just don't know? Or have I been fed lies?

I appreciate the feedback, whether it can be done or can't, at least I learn something from it.

Soldato
Yes, Display port can carry sound.

My Acer monitor connected via DP to R9 390, Windows detected a new audio playback device.

It played through the monitor speakers.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies. Turns out the sound settings on my monitor change depending on the input used. On DisplayPort, the options are line-in and DisplayPort. Normally on VGA/DVI, there's only the line-in option. Of course, I switched it to DP and set the monitor as the default device in Playback devices. Sweet! I love DP even more now, HDMI has nothing on it!

I must ask now, is there any downside to getting sound through a graphics card rather than the motherboard audio? Will I notice any loss in quality? Also, would this work with a multi-monitor set-up? I.e. can I pump out sound through multiple monitors connected via DP/HDMI? Sounds silly, but I'd just like to know what's possible.

And to think I was manually changing audio cables for more than 6 months... XD I sure do love being enlightened on stuff like this.

Soldato
The problem is going to be the quality of the speakers on the monitor.

Regarding quality compared to onboard, it will be 50/50.

The DAC on the monitor will likely be pants.

Associate
It depends how you are connected, analogue (standard 3.5mm jacks) usually support up to 5.1 but have separate channels for front / back / center etc.
Optical (S/PDIF) can carry 2 PCM audio channels, but is often used to carry encoded 5.1 audio using dolby pro logic or similar technologies. When used for PCM this is lossless as it is digital and not compressed / encoded.
HDMI can carry a lot of audio data so basically as much as you need, 7.1 @ 192khz easily. It is also digital and so is lossless.
Displayport, like HDMI can also support 7.1 24-bit 192khz audio uncompressed and lossless.

TL;DR you will lose audio quality using an analogue connection or using optical (if you want surround). Use HDMI or Displayport, they are equally good when it comes to audio.

Regarding multiple monitors / audio sources simultaneously: Normally most applications play audio through one exclusive device but if you want to overcome this you can run an app such as Virtual Audio Cable to duplicate the sound source http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom