Soundbar recommendations <1000mm, good for music

Soldato
Interesting that the Mini is actually higher than the Denon. I’ll check out some reviews. I really wanted a sub with whatever soundbar I get (I’m used to floor standing stereo speakers so a nice bass thud) but Sennheiser want £599 for theirs!? :eek:

You can grab one on clearance at Sevenoaks for £449

It's upfiring so makes placement easier. I've got mine hidden in back corner with phase 180 on. No rattle or boomyness and integrates really well with the bar.

Soldato
OP
I thought that you said that your partner won't let you run wires to any sort of sub ? Even if a sub is wireless, it still needs to be plugged into the mains.
Mains is fine as we have lots of sockets available, including behind the sofa. Speaker cable from an amp across the room is not ok.

It's upfiring so makes placement easier. I've got mine hidden in back corner with phase 180 on. No rattle or boomyness and integrates really well with the bar.
Oh cool. Upfiring is especially good too, as above I was imagining putting a sub next to the sofa.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. Watched a couple of good reviews this morning, some of the comments mentioned the Bose 600 which has upfiring speakers, also Google cast enabled, and is cheaper all round. Any thoughts on that? I think I’m going to need to try some of these.

Soldato
Thanks. Watched a couple of good reviews this morning, some of the comments mentioned the Bose 600 which has upfiring speakers, also Google cast enabled, and is cheaper all round. Any thoughts on that? I think I’m going to need to try some of these.

Dunno, never tried it. If not adding rears then I'd stick with Sennheiser, usually for just the soundbar alone nothing comes close. If can afford to buy both or even others to return the ones not happy with then do so. Room layout / size etc is always the key element in these devices anyway.

Soldato

Upfirers aren't as good as proper ceiling or height speakers.

I've listened to some dedicated upfirer speakers and the sound doesn't like it's coming from the ceiling, or high up.

Soldato
Upfirers aren't as good as proper ceiling or height speakers.

I've listened to some dedicated upfirer speakers and the sound doesn't like it's coming from the ceiling, or high up.

In the circumstances the question that is relevant is not whether upfirers are better or worse than having ceiling or height speakers but whether they're better or worse than having no other delivery of a height channel at all.

Soldato
In the circumstances the question that is relevant is not whether upfirers are better or worse than having ceiling or height speakers but whether they're better or worse than having no other delivery of a height channel at all.

Better to have higher quality for your other speakers.

Less is more

Soldato
I’m happy with my Sonos beam Gen1 even as a previous owner of a full surround system with massive receiver and big box speakers (Marantz and B&W). Yes it doesn’t sound as immersive as the real thing but it is more than adequate for most peoples needs and the sound for music or TV is impressive from such a tiny package which is much more family living room friendly. I have also never found anything as good as the Sonos eco system for multi room music/audio it is seamless and can be operated by even the most technophobe of users!

Soldato
OP
I’m seeing good discounts on the Sennheiser Ambeo range at the moment. The Mini is down to £548 and the soundbar hilariously is £1 more :p So about a grand all in. Still a lot (I could try without the sub first I guess but j feel like my other half would never let me get it later as an “add on”)

Shall I just give up hunting around and buy that? It’s super well rated and has all the features I want… Unlikely to go any cheaper is it.

Soldato
I’m seeing good discounts on the Sennheiser Ambeo range at the moment. The Mini is down to £548 and the soundbar hilariously is £1 more :p So about a grand all in. Still a lot (I could try without the sub first I guess but j feel like my other half would never let me get it later as an “add on”)

Shall I just give up hunting around and buy that? It’s super well rated and has all the features I want… Unlikely to go any cheaper is it.

Haven't heard the Mini but looking at the size of it, I'd say a dedicated sub is a must (for any soundbar)

That Sennheiser sub doesn't seem great for the price, if you can use another brand (and use wired) you'll get better performance for your money

Mini lacks sub pre out, you'd need to go for Plus/Max for sub pre out.

Last edited:
Soldato

Soldato

Not bad price, just the lack of HDMI and sub pre is bit of a bummer. You could then buy BK Monolith + for £650, which'll be much better than the Sennheiser subwoofer - and the same price

Soldato
OP
Haven't heard the Mini but looking at the size of it, I'd say a dedicated sub is a must (for any soundbar)
Yeah I always thought a sub is essential for a soundbar.
That Sennheiser sub doesn't seem great for the price, if you can use another brand (and use wired) you'll get better performance for your money

Mini lacks sub pre out, you'd need to go for Plus/Max for sub pre out.
I can’t go bigger than the Mini because my TV is only 42” to fit the alcove. It’s a small room. So the Max/Plus are out of the question. The Sennheiser sub seems hideously overpriced, but I’m guessing you can’t use another manufacturer’s wireless sub..

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah £650 for plastic (yuck) that'll just be sonic nastiness. 300W with 8" driver. Could buy two of these for similar money and at least quality Eminence driver and nice finish, and MDF.

I would guess the wireless system is their own system.

Soldato
Yeah £650 for plastic (yuck) that'll just be sonic nastiness. 300W with 8" driver. Could buy two of these for similar money and at least quality Eminence driver and nice finish, and MDF.

I would guess the wireless system is their own system.

The Sennheiser subwoofer isn't actually that bad. Isn't as bad as some of the others like the Samsung or Sony one. No rattle or boomyness and it's also up-firing which makes placement a lot easier. You can add 4 of them as well if you wanted too... But yes, a third party one would be better.

I'm currently running the Ambeo plus with Sennheiser's subwoofer, although I'm replacing the sub with a Kef KC62 so I'll sell you my sub for cheaper if you wish haha ;)

Soldato
Yeah I always thought a sub is essential for a soundbar.

I can’t go bigger than the Mini because my TV is only 42” to fit the alcove. It’s a small room. So the Max/Plus are out of the question. The Sennheiser sub seems hideously overpriced, but I’m guessing you can’t use another manufacturer’s wireless sub..

Not with the mini you can't as it doesn't have a sub out port unfortunately.

Soldato
The Sennheiser subwoofer isn't actually that bad. Isn't as bad as some of the others like the Samsung or Sony one. No rattle or boomyness and it's also up-firing which makes placement a lot easier. You can add 4 of them as well if you wanted too... But yes, a third party one would be better.

I'm currently running the Ambeo plus with Sennheiser's subwoofer, although I'm replacing the sub with a Kef KC62 so I'll sell you my sub for cheaper if you wish haha ;)

Does it time align all four subs? That would be pretty important. Unless you stack all four subs vertically.

Back
Top Bottom