Soundbar sound

Associate
Can someone answer a question for me as reading up on Google search I'm not getting a clear answer.

If I have all devices connected to the TV via hdmi arc and then other end to hdmi arc will all sound from the TV sources including on board apps play the sound via the soundbar?

Also if connected via optical same question

I'm asking as having issues getting a philips tv to work with sound bars of which I've tried a yamaha and now a lg one and neither will work at all via hdmi arc but will via optical but on board Netflix doesn't work so getting a little confused. I'm wondering if it it's the TV and the sound format output it supports

Associate
What model soundbar and TV are you using?

I've got a Sony 55" W829, Yamaha Ysp 2700 with a Virgin V6 TV box, PS4 Pro and Nvidia shield plugged in to the soundbar then a hdmi cable from the bar's arc hdmi port to the TV arc hdmi port. I have to change the input on the Yamaha Ysp 2700 to get sound out of it and picture on the screen.

Man of Honour
The common element here is the TV. That's where the problem lies. Changing soundbar won't fix a setting or operational snafu that's the fault of the TV. Focus on the TV.

Associate
OP
All sorted now. Returned the Philips tv which was a shame as was a really nice picture and had ambilight which I liked. Picked up a samsung TV and all works fine with the LG soundbar. Haven't quite worked out the pass thru but not a major issue.

Not sure if was just a duff or was Philips tvs in general don't work well with arc

Caporegime
All sorted now. Returned the Philips tv which was a shame as was a really nice picture and had ambilight which I liked. Picked up a samsung TV and all works fine with the LG soundbar. Haven't quite worked out the pass thru but not a major issue.

Not sure if was just a duff or was Philips tvs in general don't work well with arc

iirc phillips don't make any of their tv's or they sold the naming rights to their tv strand.

basically it's a cheap product albeit that doesn't mean they are all crap but most of them are. they do make the odd decent tv now and again.

ambilight is also a gimmick look into BIAS lighting if you care.

Associate
OP
Thanks. To be fair to the TV the picture was really good. As good as the Samsung I've bought and I really quite liked the ambilight as the TV is just used for gaming and always on a dark room

Man of Honour
iirc phillips don't make any of their tv's or they sold the naming rights to their tv strand.

basically it's a cheap product albeit that doesn't mean they are all crap but most of them are. they do make the odd decent tv now and again.

ambilight is also a gimmick look into BIAS lighting if you care.

Although there's some crossover of function, bias lights and the Ambilight system ate really doing two different things. There's valid reasoning for both.

Also, TV (owners to the rights to the Philips TV brand) make a range of TVs from price-fighter product same as Samsung, LG and Panasonic through to highly regarded top-end OLD using the LG screens, again same as LG, Panasonic and Sony.

Soldato
I have an older Samsung tv that doesn't have hdmi arc but it does have optical out so my soundbar is connected to the tv via optical and everything connected to the tv sound comes through the soundbar. I think i had to go into the tv settings and set it to external speaker otherwise sound was coming out of both. Everything works as expected and the soundbar even turns itself on and off with the tv :)

Back
Top Bottom