Soundbar suggestions for LG C8 OLED 55"

Associate
I'm looking for recommendations for a soundbar to connect to an LG C8 OLED tv. Given the size of the room, I don't want/plan to have any rear speakers and I don't mind a subwoofer but I don't want it to be too large. I plan to use it for various things - watch live sports, films, tv, play music.

I'm confused - given the tv supports ATMOS and DTS:X, I'm wondering should I get a soundbar that supports these or are there better quality soundbars that don't support these?

For example, originally I was considering the Sony HT-ZF9 but now I'm wondering if I should extend my budget to get the Sony ST 5000? Or would I be better off with something like a Sonos or Bose?

Associate
I have the LG SJ4 which has a separate bracket available so my LG C7 mounts to the soundbar and ditches it's stand. Looks very neat and tidy, everything is same width and the wireless sub-woofer works well.

Coming from a 5.1 floor-standing set-up there's no doubt it's a large drop in audio immersion/quality but if all you want to do is beef up the audio a bit and add some scale to films and sports, something like that will do the trick.

Before I bought it, I did try some of the higher end sound bars. One of the Yamaha's was pretty decent but very quickly came to the conclusion that for me, a soundbar was a step backwards so there was no point dropping ££££ on one.

Associate
I have the LG SJ4 which has a separate bracket available so my LG C7 mounts to the soundbar and ditches it's stand. Looks very neat and tidy, everything is same width and the wireless sub-woofer works well.

Coming from a 5.1 floor-standing set-up there's no doubt it's a large drop in audio immersion/quality but if all you want to do is beef up the audio a bit and add some scale to films and sports, something like that will do the trick.

Before I bought it, I did try some of the higher end sound bars. One of the Yamaha's was pretty decent but very quickly came to the conclusion that for me, a soundbar was a step backwards so there was no point dropping ££££ on one.

SJ4 or SJ8? Only know of the B/C7 that work with the SJ8 stand wise.

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I am also looking for a soundbar for my C7.

I think the SJ8 looks great tbh.

Just be aware you have to buy the stand separately. You can get it from the well known high street computer/electrical shop now they have dropped the ridiculous price they used to have on it, it's sub £30 now.

Soldato
This doesn't look like it can be used with a stand. If you have it in front of the TV, does it cover your picture at all?

Also any real reason to go got a SJ9 and not a SONOS playbase?

I got the SJ9 because it supports Dolby Atmos and has the 'fake' atmos effect ( 5.1.2 speaker arrangement). I didn't want to have speakers in the ceiling and all around the room so it works for me, even though if its not true Atmos.

Does the T8 Soundbar bracket support the B8/C8 series? I was under the impression that it only fit the C7/B7 range?

Associate
OP
Hmm, those that got the SJ9, I take it you're not too concerned about the lack of DTS-HD or DTS:X support? ...Should I be? :s

Associate
I got the SJ9 because it supports Dolby Atmos and has the 'fake' atmos effect ( 5.1.2 speaker arrangement). I didn't want to have speakers in the ceiling and all around the room so it works for me, even though if its not true Atmos.

Does the T8 Soundbar bracket support the B8/C8 series? I was under the impression that it only fit the C7/B7 range?

I’d love to get the SJ9/SK9Y, but funds say otherwise so it will have to be the SJ8.

T8 only fits the B7/C7.

Associate
For anyone interested, the retailer who rhymes with ruby murray is doing the T8 stand for £9.97-cheapest it’s ever been as far as I know.

Associate
Richer Sounds are doing the SJ8 for £249 (from £319) for VIP members until the 9th. Don't see it coming down too much more than that around Black Friday so pulled the trigger on it today.

Can't wait to get it all set up with my B7 (if I ever move into my new house that is!).

Back
Top Bottom