Space 1999

Anyone else used to watch this in the 70's? I've just started a rewatch of series 1 and it's a lot better than I thought it was. The effects are not bad for a show made in 1975. I seem to recall the 2nd series wasn't as good as the first but I'll see when I get there. Only on episode 2 and Lovejoy (Ian McShane) is in it. It's a bit cheesy but still a good watch and better as an adult watching it. I loved the Eagles and thought they were well done.

It's on ITVX.

SR6OBGS.png

Man of Honour
Might be worth checking out UFO from 1970, I believe this is similar and started from the idea of a second series of UFO.
UFO was the better show of the two, but Space 1999 is a classic. The special effects by Derek Meddings were way ahead of their time, especially considering the low budget. Martin Landau and Barbara Bain had good rapport, much like in Mission Impossible.

I recently rewatched UFO. The pilot is cringeworthy in parts by today’s standards (https://youtu.be/JPeiaKCS4EI check out 8:00 and 9:08) but apart from that it really is a great show.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I absolutely loved this series and watched it avidly as a kid. I rewatched some of them a couple of years ago and thety are still great. I had a metal Eagle toy back in the day that I wish I had kept. S1 was definitely the best. They changed S2 to appeal to a more American audience with more action which I didn't find as good. Disappointingly they also replaced Victor Bergman (Barry Morse) without explaining where he went.

Another (completely unrelated) series from the same era you might want to rediscover is Sapphire and Steel.

Man of Honour
I had two but the cockpit was green and one was blue. I painted mine white.
Apparently it was green because it was more visually appealing in the toy packet. Also, legend has it that the original design for the Millenium Falcon looked too much like an Eagle so George Lucas had a second design made.

Last edited:
Soldato
1st series as you say was good second lost its way

Might be worth checking out UFO from 1970, I believe this is similar and started from the idea of a second series of UFO.
Second season is awesome but the US backers pulled the plug and that was that Timelash is one of the best episodes of scifi I've ever seen

Ed Striker! I watched that on Late Night Late on TVS a quite few years ago. Enjoyed that too.
Straker! Same here lol

Watched it when it originally aired & rewatched it recently. Like you say, a bit cheesy now but good for the nostalgia value

Had an eagle as a toy & loved it!
I didn't but I knew someone who did. I had a UFO Interceptor complete with a missile that it used to fire heh

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The first episode of sapphire and steel was pretty bad but the one at the train station with the soldier ghost was very good.
The train station is absolutely the best in the series. But I thought episode 1 was fairly decent. It has a very spooky atmosphere with all the clocks ticking and stopping and the nursery rhymes.

Soldato
Zienia Merton who played the rather fetching Sandra Benes on Space 1999 was the first "lady on the telly" that made me feel a bit "funny" so to speak, back in the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom