Space-saving: New PC build or gaming laptop?

Associate
Hello all

I'm trying to space save on my desk at home and have been tempted recently by replacing my gaming desktop with a gaming laptop, with it "docked" and plugged into my external 4k monitor for home use.

The other option i'm giving myself is to downsize my case etc and build a small form factor gaming PC. I've got a half decent build now so MAY be able to move some stuff from it over to a new one, but obviously want the opinion of the forum!

Here is what i'm running with currently:

Ryzen 7 3700X
B450M Mortar Max
Gigabyte 2070 Super
Corsair 16GB 3600Mhz RAM
NZXT H70i with a Corsair H150i Pro AIO

Obviously aware the AIO is pretty much defunct if I make the case significantly smaller. Looking to retrieve as much from that as I can while making a smaller build.

The laptop I was looking at was the Legion Pro i5 16 with the new Intel chip and 3070ti. Think that's available for around £1700 which gives you an idea on budget available.

Thanks in advance people :)

Associate
Love the look of the Q58 case, see below. Big thread on it.

Someone else looking at small build and looking at the NRP200 Max which is slightly bigger with 18ltrs vol as opposed to 14ltr, but comes with an 850w gold rated psu, custom cables(so not too long), a pcie 4 riser cable and 280mm aio for £330

either of those take your fancy?

Associate
OP
both look great; thanks for the suggestions! obviously the coolermaster is probably more helpful as it's coming with other components (!) but a cursory look suggests it's either not released yet or not readily available.

do like the look of the q58 though, and would appreciate being able to choose PSU etc to fit.

so if i chose the lian li, what could i be looking at keeping/replacing? :)

Associate
you can keep R7 3700X, Corsair 16gb ram, looking how long the 2070 super is but guessing it'll fit...sory, bit tied up, will look in a bit
Will need Small form factor psu, mini itx case(prob Asus B550 i or g(can't remember which) gaming top of my head without looking, 240mm aio(meant to fit 280mm but think space limited).
would get a nvme drive too

Associate
Hello all

I'm trying to space save on my desk at home and have been tempted recently by replacing my gaming desktop with a gaming laptop, with it "docked" and plugged into my external 4k monitor for home use.

The other option i'm giving myself is to downsize my case etc and build a small form factor gaming PC. I've got a half decent build now so MAY be able to move some stuff from it over to a new one, but obviously want the opinion of the forum!

Here is what i'm running with currently:

Ryzen 7 3700X
B450M Mortar Max
Gigabyte 2070 Super
Corsair 16GB 3600Mhz RAM
NZXT H70i with a Corsair H150i Pro AIO

Obviously aware the AIO is pretty much defunct if I make the case significantly smaller. Looking to retrieve as much from that as I can while making a smaller build.

The laptop I was looking at was the Legion Pro i5 16 with the new Intel chip and 3070ti. Think that's available for around £1700 which gives you an idea on budget available.

Thanks in advance people :)
Why dont you get an Itx motherboard and chassis like the Q58 that can take a full sized PSU?

Small but powerful.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £432.14 (includes delivery: £17.22)​

Associate
definitely looks like the Q58 is the way to go! thanks

assume no-one is saying a laptop is a good idea here then? :D
You already own a computer. Just adjust it slightly.

I own a Q58 as it has the capacity to hold my 3080 FE.

I did get a SF750 PSU instead of sticking with my ATX PSU as it was on special and I couldnt help myself. I could have just stuck with my RM650 and been fine.

Looking forward to getting an ITX build in the next while.

Associate
i mean you're completely right, i just like new toys! :)

so i guess it's just a recommendation for an AIO to fit the Q58 then!
Youll love an ITX build if you like toys. Get the Arctic Freezer 240mm. You might be able to get the 280mm in the Q58 but see what it says on the webpage - you might need an SFF PSU.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £642.08 (includes delivery: £17.22)​

Associate
Heat is an issue with an itx case, worse with a laptop. Let me know how this case copes with a 600w 4090 when they come out! The good thing about an itx case is its easier to update and replace parts, eg drop in a new gpu. ITX machines have improved and apart from the issues of thermals if the heat of the nvidia 4000 series is true they are good options for gaming

Associate
OP
i'll happily remove the laptop option then.

yeah, i had a smaller case previously and upgraded to the bigger one in the summer of 2020 as i had an itch to run an AIO instead of the dark rock pro i had. i'd considered the thermal performance being an issue, but if i can still get an AIO in an ITX case i think it'd be a decent compromise.

Associate
Also throwing in my favorite, Raijintek Thetis.
Its almost same footprint as a Q58, but no need to replace motherboard and PSU, takes ATX.

AIO wise same already recommended Arctic LF II 240

Associate
if you upgrade your gpu down the line, might be worth getting the Q58 with the pcie4 riser in it, rather than the pcie3 riser. @JollyJamma you sure there's enough clearance with the arctic cooler? From reviews, it's a tight fit...
You'll need a small form factor psu if you want to fit a 240mm aio...no room with a standard atx psu
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £161.09 (includes delivery: £11.10)​

I remember the evo shift case, was half asleep when I saw it though, how you can alter the height of it to suit your needs....fractal case looks good too, can fit normal psu...so many choices​

Associate
@JollyJamma you sure there's enough clearance with the arctic cooler? From reviews, it's a tight fit...
You'll need a small form factor psu if you want to fit a 240mm aio...no room with a standard atx psu
You are correct! Because of the thickness of the rad, its too tight for the tubes and all to nicely fit in there.

I forgot how thicccccc the AC LFII 240 and 280 are.

Associate
OP
If you want some more ideas check out this youtube channel it has lots of itx case stuff, https://youtu.be/3r2VWbTBL5c?t=220

If you are happy to have something smaller than an atx case, but not really small, this is a good middle ground, https://youtu.be/N5O6WZKERZ8

However, it will fit a large air cooler but not a larger AIO so perhaps not what you are after

funny that you link a vid to that NZXT case; that's the one that i saw that made me consider going smaller case-wise.

is the general consensus that the NZXT H1 v2 isn't THAT good? especially compared to that lian li from earlier?

it's probably the day to order!

Back
Top Bottom