Spain sack coach on eve of World Cup

Soldato
I get "there is a way to act" but seems strange to **** the team over so badly - especially when surely Spain are one of the favourites (at least to get to the 1/4 if not semi's)

Still seems very extreme reaction given the time frames.

At the end of the day it really assists RM and totally messes the national team

Soldato
OP
Will be managerless as his assistant is more than likely going to real aswell lol

Spanish fa are a joke managers agree deals like this all the time

Conte did it before going to chelsea

Associate
Maybe it's just an indication of how little they rate him as a manager. If I'm honest judging by past experience he's been very lucky to get the Spain and real jobs. He's not actually achieved much of anything.

Even without a manager Spain can probably go pretty far. Maybe they already have a replacement in mind aswell.

Soldato
I didn't realise that Lopetegui signed a new contract to manage Spain until 2020 a few months ago when Rubiales was appointed the president of the Spanish football federation. With that in mind I think it's outrageous of Lopetegui and Real Madrid and he fully deserved to be sacked.

Caporegime
Typical Madrid to announce and destabilise Spain right before the tournament. They care about one thing and one thing only. Themselves.

Zidane takes charge of Spain, Spain win World Cup?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I can't imagine that this will change Spain one bit. They have a very strong squad with a lot of experience and they play a specific way. A new manager won't have to do much.

Soldato
OP
Maybe it's just an indication of how little they rate him as a manager. If I'm honest judging by past experience he's been very lucky to get the Spain and real jobs. He's not actually achieved much of anything.

Even without a manager Spain can probably go pretty far. Maybe they already have a replacement in mind aswell.

Undefeated as spain u21 manager and then went on to be unbeaten as spains manager

Nothing to do with rating him!!

Associate
11 games for the under 21's and no tournaments as Spain's manager. He's had 20 games 14 wins, 6 draws with Spain but it's all friendlies and a few qualifiers. You could put a goldfish in charge of Spain and still get respectable results. He did ok with Porto but didn't win anything and had a record budget so was sacked after 2 years. Not exactly a brilliant résumé.

Last edited:
Soldato
Far from perfect but no matter what happens it is the right decision, IMO.

I can't imagine that this will change Spain one bit. They have a very strong squad with a lot of experience and they play a specific way. A new manager won't have to do much.

Also this.

Soldato
Im not so sure - at this kind of level (where Spain are expected to be world wide) small differences can make all the difference.

Im sure they will sail through their group - even if they don't get a result in the 1st match vs Portugal, but its the 1/4s and Semi's where the managers knowledge of each squad / bench player will come into its own - or if Spain get one or two injuries.

The 1st XI may also each have their own preferences from the bench - which may not always be the best for the collective , even if the right intentions are meant.

Back
Top Bottom