Speaker damage repairable?

Soldato
A friend of mine has asked for some advice but frankly im clueless where matters like this are concernd, he has a pair of speakers which he loves, im unsure of the make but from all accounts there pretty expensive and he loves them to bits.
From what he has said he has had them a little while and recently his beloved child managed to ram her finger streight into the cone ??(i think thats what it is called, its the dome shape piece in the center of the actual speaker)
What he is wanting to know is if there is any way he can replace the part itself without having to pay a heafty repair bill, or even if its repairable?

Soldato
If the cone itself is simply compressed inwards, you can try applying a small bit of blu-tack to it and pulling it back out.

Associate
If the blutack method doesn't work, here are some others i've heard of.

a) use a needle (perhaps bend the tip with some pliers) to pull the inverted dome back out.

b) Suck it out with your mouth - not the most hygenic method but could work ok.

c) Use a vacuum cleaner pipe but be very careful not to apply the full suction as it will be too strong if you have something like a dyson.

Soldato
OP
basicly the cone on the main driver just looks unsightly now, he was just woundering if yo could purchase a new cone at some cost and remove the other carefully and glue the new cone in place. Not sure if that is even possible, maybe a larger cone or something, who knows lol!

Soldato
You can order a whole replacement drive unit from the company that makes the speaker, parts are not expensive friend wrecked a tweeter on a £1k set of Mission speakers, tweeter was £30 odd and a quick solder job to replace it.

Soldato
My cousins little vermin poked the cone in on my Focal 716's at Christmas, I threw a fit...

However after a little deliberation (after I'd cut their fingers off :mad:) I got the hoover out ( a vax actually, but in dry mode) opened up the slider on the handle to lower the suction and hovered over the cone.. It grabbed hold of the cone straight away and I pooped my pants. I grappled with the power button straight away and removed the suction pipe from my beloved focals expecting to see a deformed or missing cone.
However all was good and it worked flawlessly..

Well chuffed!!

Soldato
You can order a whole replacement drive unit from the company that makes the speaker, parts are not expensive friend wrecked a tweeter on a £1k set of Mission speakers, tweeter was £30 odd and a quick solder job to replace it.

I'd second that and also it might not even need soldering. I have a very old pair of Rogers speakers (who?!!!) and one of the tweeters blew 7 years after buying them. I rang them up and they sent a replacement free in the post. Not saying you'll get a free one but they don't tend to be very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom