Spec a mate a gaming PC - £850

Caporegime
OP
If, and it's a big if, I'm understanding you, any RAM should work unclocked but supported RAM is more likely to work once he starts overclocking.

Correct. RAM is a fickle thing once you start overclocking, which you won't be doing for the forseeable future so just buy whatever's a good deal (try get a pack of 2x sticks rather than 1x though) and roll with it. If he sticks to it and wants to make it his hobby then start exploring other options.

Soldato
going with the mini itx challenge then perhaps something like this? unless your son is going to be using it for warrant 16gb ram then 8gb would be plenty though you do have the extra money to cover a 16gb kit if need be. if this is his first gaming computer then a straight up quad is a great start and the 1060 is a cracking video card.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £799.90
(includes shipping: £28.02)

but if you did want to go ahead with a full atx built then maybe something like this which is better than the above build give or take the graphics card comparison.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £842.04
(includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
Not working like how? lights? fans? no post?

Basic trouble shooting, make sure everything is plugged in properly. 8 pin cpu cable from the power supply to the motherboard is often missed. Make sure the power supply is switched on. Check the front panel connectors.

If it all looks right but still doesn't do anything try building it outside of the case and try with as few bits as possible, 1 stick of ram at a time or different graphics card and power supply if you have it. You can start the computer by shorting the power switch pins on the mother board with a screwdriver.

Associate
And here's the finished article, if anyone is interested.
22089260_10156712748369676_2016740149899650715_n.jpg

I don't like the wiring for the GPU, but I'm not sure what my options are.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom