Spec a New PC pls

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Hi

I have been contemplating upgrading my pc for quite while now. I only need to get a new cpu, motherboard and memory but havent kept up with what's new. Primarily i will be gaming and will not be overclocking. So running everything on default.

My main concern is the motherboard. Looking at a lot of the new mobo designs, some have a fancy housing cover that wraps above over the face plate which looking at the pics uses a lot of vertical room above the faceplate?.

The way my case is laid out, everything is rotated clockwise compared to a conventional atx case. So all my connections and face plate is facing up at the top of the case. Directly above the face plate I need to keep room for a 120mm fan outake currently used by my Hydro CPU cooler radiator. So i have to be careful not to pick a mobo where the face plate housing sits higher than the height of the faceplate. (hope that makes sense)

VivkYgs.jpg

Mobo - Not sure either Z370P D3 Intel Core Z370 (Socket 1151) or Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming

Memory - No Idea tbh- i dont plan to oc so will run everything on default. 32GB of DDR4 but not sure opting for 3200mhz is a waste?

So looking

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £831.91 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really, a bit like you I'm behind on latest tech.

All I would say is if it's for gaming, in general RAM is much of a muchness, the timings affect gaming very minimally, so I would focus more on a good brand (which you have covered already) and maybe one other thing to consider is getting a more common type (CAS timings and voltage) with thinking that if you ever want to double up on the future it'll be much easier to find a matching pair.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
One query what's the difference between 8700 and 8700k. Is it just the factory core clock speed difference?

Soldato
One query what's the difference between 8700 and 8700k. Is it just the factory core clock speed difference?
K series CPUs can be overclocked, non-K are locked. But the 8700K does have a marginally higher turbo clock I think?

The higher end chipsets are for overclocking, but also have more features like additional SATA connectors. But primarily, basic chipsets are locked and high end are unlocked for CPU/RAM clock and voltage control.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
K series CPUs can be overclocked, non-K are locked. But the 8700K does have a marginally higher turbo clock I think?

The higher end chipsets are for overclocking, but also have more features like additional SATA connectors. But primarily, basic chipsets are locked and high end are unlocked for CPU/RAM clock and voltage control.

Thanks for explaining. Might switch out the mobo for this one. Slightly better features I think

Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming K3

Soldato
Thanks for explaining. Might switch out the mobo for this one. Slightly better features I think

Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming K3

If your not overclocking , standard 8700 which boosts to 4.3ghz all cores when gaming or workload .
Aorus b360 is prob best board in class and better then most z370 for design and features. If you use BT or Virgin router, then WiFi on the board is faster you can use with those routers

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £546.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

With saving, can get a solid cases designed for heat output of these things :)

Also can use an air cooler that is better then that CLC unit​

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestion. If I double up on memory and add on CLC it saving about 100 difference. Think I am going to stick with my case as it's great for heat output. Have air coolers improved that much it's better than CLC's? Decisions, decisions. Wish I didn't read about the optane drives now lol.

Soldato
Cheap CLC are naff to begin with and heat output or more cores from intel and their poor TIM leads flagship aircoolers or Cox to be used .

With having Non K heat output is cut down a lot which helps but CLC are still louder then air half of the time due to Dan's used and loud pumps .

Have a look at Eisbaer LT 120 on here . Proper AIO with copper radiator and block and pump double the power and virtually silent :)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alph...water-cooling-unit-120mm-11444-hs-004-ac.html

£240 for 32GB !!!!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/geil...l-kit-black-gaexy432gb2400c16d-my-209-gl.html

To be fair, most of us rock 16GB as no games have need for 32GB unless your doing heavy workstation loads ?

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Thanks!! Would you consider the Eisbaer better than than the Corsair h-60 cooler I chose. It's roughly about the same price range? I have used the H-50 in my current system for the last 10+ years and its been pretty good no issues.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Think I am going to go for 8700K and z370 with option to oc in the future so going to stick with 3000mhz memory.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Just wanted to say thanks very much guys, Got my rig up and running and its a beast. I didnt even bother to turn on xmp as the machine is so quick!

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
One question my cpu temps idle are around 30c and just had a game of overwatch and it topped 70c. Is that ok for my max temps? Don't think I am going to try delidding unless I have to.

Soldato
Yea ok, about the top end of what you want, but its like the hottest it's gets in this country also ATM, assuming you live in the UK. So normally will be cooler.

Also put on the xmp settings, why not?

Back
Top Bottom