Spec advise on new PC ~£3600 budget

Associate
Hi guys,

Looking for input on a new PC. Will be using it for work, gaming, Netflix. Total budget is around £3600. I'll be getting a Geforce Titan X (Pascal) off NVIDIA and a monitor so around ~£1900 as a budget works here:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,925.84
(includes shipping: £14.10)

Last edited:
Associate
I would highly recommend a 21:9 monitor for those things mentioned. The titan will be able to hit some damn impressive fps at 3440x1440 and the horizontal pixels gained really add to the feel of the game, and also can be great for extra work space. Not to mention the better experience for films in a cinematic aspect ratio!

Soldato
I wouldn't bother with a sound card. On board is very good these days.

Also Phanteks Enthoo Pro > 450D imo.

You can run that setup with a lower wattage psu unless you are planning on SLI ? Even then a 750W would be fine.

I would also go with an i7 for longevity.

Associate
Do you really need a 1tb m.2 mate?

personally I would get a 512gb m.2 and then get some sata 6 ssd for games.

For that kind of money get an i7 7700k . You can build a beast including monitor for around 3k. The money you put down is sli terittory

Soldato
Agreed with above. Get an i7, and a 1tb m.2 is a weird choice. I'd get a smaller OS m.2 and then additional Sata SSDs or HDDs for data.

For that cash could you consider 1080sli, or even Titan SLI if you were a little more sensible with some parts.

An external amp will be better for sound if you're into into high quality cans. If you're getting the sound card just because, save your cash; onboard, especially on high end mobos, is excellent.
Also, just curiosity really, what will you use the blu ray drive for? I've not used one for years and then I prefer an external on for a cleaner pc.

Last edited:
Soldato
For £3,600 I'd expect to get an X99 system not an i5. That is crazy. You could get an 8 core / 16 thread CPU system for that price if you did some more work on your specifications.

Associate
OP
Yes sorry, meant to do i7 7700k. That was a mistake. Anything else?

Are you sure the the onboard sound is as good as a Creative Zx?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I've edited my original post:
  • removed the sound card and the BD-Drive
  • upgraded the CPU/Cooler/etc. bundle.
  • Changed the case to the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass.
  • Also removed the monitor from this. I'll worry about that later.

My thinking around the sound card was also for noise cancellation. I like to use a normal mic and my speakers rather than headsets. I find headsets to be very uncomfortable and thought the beam forming feature would help block out ambient sounds. How is the onboard for this?

Associate
I've got the 1Tb SM961 and I've noticed very little (if any) extra performance over a standard M2 Sata SSD. I only got it for it's size.
I had the SM951 and noticed very little difference in that too. Plus I had to RMA it, so it now lives in my NUC doing next to nothing.

Soldato
My thinking around the sound card was also for noise cancellation. I like to use a normal mic and my speakers rather than headsets. I find headsets to be very uncomfortable and thought the beam forming feature would help block out ambient sounds. How is the onboard for this?

If you're gaming with loudspeakers and an 'always on' 'open mic' then feedback loops are always a danger unless you assign a keyboard key for 'push to talk' to momentarily activate the mic.

Or do you want a sound card for audio studio work? Either way I'd still trial the on-board audio, and if it has issues, which I imagine will be application specific, then look at expensive sound cards, or maybe a studio quality directional condenser mic.

Back
Top Bottom