Spec based around a 3080

Soldato
So I was fortunate enough to grab a 3080 FE in the drop this morning so as per the thread below now I need the rest of it :). I had been looking at a pre-build but decided against it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...uy-a-3080-now-i-need-the-rest-of-it.18929973/

A similar spec would be cool I do however need to include storage, 2TB should do for now, 64GB would also be cool as would the 5900X oh and I'd like it to glow as it'll impress my son (and me......)

My budget would be around the £1600 mark, is the above do-able for this amount? No need to worry about the monitor. I will be gaming at 1440p (5120*1440 where I can)

Last edited:
Soldato
What is the pc going to be mainly used for??

64gig of ram is basically e-peen for 99% of people uses.

Also a 5900x is mainly pointless for just games.

Soldato
Just thrown this together:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,390.40 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

I don't know a lot about water coolers though - I just picked something with RGB. The Dark Rock Pro 4 is apparently a great air cooler for 5900X but isn't flashy. Probably cheaper to get that and some LED strips. I have two strips connected to my X570 Tomahawk just to light the case up a little. It's set to white as I'm not keen on flashy RGB.

Man of Honour
X570 Motherboard with wifi but could drop down to a b550 to save money. Decent rgb case with matching aio cooler , put the cooler in the front and move the rgb fans to the rear.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,585.01 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Soldato
Easy enough to fit as long as the case can accomodate the size of the radiator. The only thing im not a fan of is if the pump goes you have to replace the whole unit. If a fan dies on an air cooler then you can just replace that. Im not saying AIO's are unrelaible but its something to balance when buying.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Liking the options thanks all, never done a water cooled CPU cooler before. Easy to fit? It's a good 10yrs plus since I've done a build
Fairly easy, building a pc hasn't changed that much really apart from the rgb stuff. Motherboard manual walks you threw it just don't skip and theres loads of videos online.

Soldato
I haven't done one but I have read on these forums that getting them the right way up is important so you don't drag air through the system. I don't think I could convince myself to go watercooled any time soon.

Soldato
Games and work, work being programming and messing about with VM's/containers
VMs etc with programming can certainly hog memory.
So especially with current prices 64GB isn't that crazy.

Liking the options thanks all, never done a water cooled CPU cooler before. Easy to fit? It's a good 10yrs plus since I've done a build
If you want guaranteed long time reliability, no reason to combine water and electronics.
Heatpipe coolers don't have any wearing parts with failure of fan only degrading performance.
With water pipes pump failure means CPU heading for thermal shutdown almost before you've loaded into Windows.
Also degradation and wear will eventually lead to complete collapse of cooling power.
And in continuous cooling per noise best heatpipe coolers beat average water pipe coolers.

Associate

Agree with the post above re. water cooling, just grab an NH-D15 or a Dark Rock Pro and never have to worry about thermals again.

The builds already suggested are fine, only thing I'd change is RM750x instead of regular RM750. Costs £5-10 or so more for slightly superior fan and components, for a PSU made to last 10 years what's the point of skimping ten pounds? I'd also personally opt for an 850W (e.g. RM850x) to allow leeway and more efficient operation.

Soldato
Well I *think* I'm leaning towards a HSF build similar to what dfour spec'd still looking. Weighing up the lian li vs the phanteks case as well that might just be an aesthetics thing

I had a look at some review videos before buying mine. The cable routing and accessibility is fantastic. You have a better case budget than me but if you haven't already checked, you could see which of the cases is easier to build in.

Soldato
Buying a case is as much an asthetic thing as it is a good review thing. If you hate the sight of it it doesnt matter how good or bad it is. The phantecs and the Lian-Li are both well regarded cases.

Soldato
Buying a case is as much an asthetic thing as it is a good review thing. If you hate the sight of it it doesnt matter how good or bad it is. The phantecs and the Lian-Li are both well regarded cases.
Aye, bearing in mind front mounted aio can be tight with that gpu, well it is on my NZXT 510.

Back
Top Bottom