Spec Check - ~£2k SFF build

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Had to wait for a couple bits but system is built and running well. I initially had the a12x15 in the exhaust position, but the amount of warm air exhausted was the same as without. I moved it to the bottom to provide a bit of intake for the GPU.

It was a pretty tricky build with the D15, I had to essentially build outside the case including power cables to allow me to route them properly. With the extension cables it meant I could get some nice runs, but it's a very tight fit behind the panels. I need to spend a little more time anchoring down some of the bigger cable areas as they are pushing the panels out a little.

No RGB for this build, black stealth mode :D

Dust filter is on its way. Should attach magnetically to the underside.

lie_build_tu150_2020-1.jpg

lie_build_tu150_2020-2.jpg

lie_build_tu150_2020-3.jpg

lie_build_tu150_2020-4.jpg

lie_build_tu150_2020-5.jpg

Soldato
Nice.

Very similar to my, personal, builds - but i don't have a windows - but monolith cooler, mostly black and clean lines. Essentially the little black box - although, i've yet to do an ITX build for personal use. But the boards are so well specced - it's getting harder and harder to resist with HDD space (footprint) not an issue anymore.

What are noise levels like under load? (assuming inaudible when idle).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Gaming I'm never too bothered about fan noise, the GPU fans will always be spinning pretty fast and so I make sure the intakes are running fast enough as well.

Doing some work in Lightroom it was only audible when batch importing/exporting.

I have a fan curve tailored for silence up to about 60 degrees on the CPU. When I'm doing desktop stuff it seems to fluctuate between 50-60 degrees. On exports it did hit 70, I suspect it may go a little higher during sustained loads. I do need to spend a little more time tuning things, but for my usage as long as it's decent in gaming and ligthroom I'm happy.

uD4sHin.png

Edit: In game I saw a max CPU temp of 77, but it averaged around 71. Same as the GPU, sat around 71.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great build. I want to build a SFF soon, I can't decide how small I want to go, this case or something like the Dan case. My main priority is silence on idle.

I'd probably build a bit lower spec than you have using my current GTX 1060.

Yours looks great though with the black stealth look.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
So update on the build. I put in a pre-order for the Ncase M1 yesterday in black, it's been the goal case for sometime so couldn't pass up on it. This does mean the D15 won't fit, so that I am returning and using the stock (my god it's noisy) CPU cooler for now.

I've decided to also return the 2070 SUPER, the coil whine is pretty insane on this card. Snagged a 2080Ti on MM which is EVGA, giving me options for aftermarket cooling without killing the warranty which may be necessary in the Ncase M1.

TU150 is a great case, but I've always wanted to build in a true SFF case and the M1 looks fantastic (the TU150 is inspired by it's looks I'm sure).

Soldato
Looking forward to seeing your next build.

My build will look smiliar to your current spec soon, though I just realises my storage SSD is going to ruin the looks. I see an upgrade coming soon in that department too.

Edit - actually I should be ok, for some reason I thought it was a Crucial, but it's a Sandisk and is black with a red sticker, I could always remove the sticker for a really clean look.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Looking forward to seeing your next build.

My build will look smiliar to your current spec soon, though I just realises my storage SSD is going to ruin the looks. I see an upgrade coming soon in that department too.

Edit - actually I should be ok, for some reason I thought it was a Crucial, but it's a Sandisk and is black with a red sticker, I could always remove the sticker for a really clean look.

You can mount the SSD to the top of the case to hide it, that’s an option.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
As mentioned above I have returned my 2070 SUPER and now have a year old 2080Ti. The problem is, it's quite a hot card which isn't helped by this case. I can fit 2x 25mm fans under it to pull in fresh air, however the exhaust options are limited on this case which is the real issue. The GPU is kicking out some serious heat which isn't exhausted properly. Putting the bottom 2 as exhaust I'm not convinced, as the gap isn't large under the bottom of the case which means the desk would get pretty toasty. I would also need to run both case fans as intake.

I have a couple ideas.
1. Scrap the ITX form factor and move into mid tower with a custom loop. Would mean taking a hit on some components when selling
2. Somehow make this GPU cooler until I can get something like an O11 Mini and put in a custom loop. There aren't any decent ITX case for a custom loop that I've looked at. Most are 240 + 120 rads and I'd want at least 2 x 240.

The key is to keep things cool and quiet. Right now I'm struggling to game with the GPU going max speed.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I'm leaning towards changing over to ATX/mid tower. I've never done a custom loop before, but it does look a good route for having a quiet well cooled system.

Back
Top Bottom