Spec check for home server

Soldato
Hi, I've finally realised that I need a file server. I plan on running ubuntu on it, with a software RAID 5 (which I believe I can expand by adding additional drives down the line, is this correct?)

Otherwise, all it will be for is storing data, and maybe running an itunes server. Will the following be suitable for it? The only thing I worry about is the cpu being underpowered, as I'm not sure how much strain a software raid would put on it?

CoolerMaster Centurion 5

430w Seasonic S12-430 aPFC PSU Silent ATX2.0

AMD AM2 Sempron 3000 Manila Core, 1.6GHz, 256KB Cache, Retail

ASUS M2NPV-MX , NF430, S AM2, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, uATX

512MB (2X256MB) Corsair Value Select, DDR2 PC4200 (533), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12

3x 320 Gb Western Digital WD3200SD Caviar RE, SATA150, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms

+ 2*160gb drives I already have

thanks for any thoughts.

Soldato
the money u spend on those hardware, mite as well spend extra £70 for a nice RAID 5 controller

also, are you experienced with linux? if ubuntu goes wrong, it'll be PITA to get it right.

Man of Honour
For the uses specified that ought to be more than enough, in fact I'd consider getting an old secondhand PC, maybe somewhere around the 1.5ghz mark and then chucking in a hardware Raid card, whatever new drives you want, maybe even a new PSU and it should still cost less. :)

Soldato
OP
I did think about adding a RAID 5 card, but I know nothing about them, so are there any particular ones people would recommend?

I've been learning ubuntu over the last few months, basically playing with it solidly, so I feel reasonably confident I'd be able to get it up and running and maintain it. Also the data I'll be putting on it, is currently held on two 400gb usb drives, which i'll keep as backup/ongoing backup solution.

I can't really be bothered sourcing a second hand pc, don't have the time, or inclination, so I think i'll stick with buying new.

Soldato
I had me a file server with Suse Linux.

It had 4 80GB IDE drives running on RAID 5 giving 160GB space.

It was software RAID 5 and only an IDE channel for each drive was needed. (no slave configuration here...)

It's a lot of effort for what's it worth, but fun on the journey of discovery, nontheless.

daz

daz

Soldato
!bluetonic! said:
I had me a file server with Suse Linux.

It had 4 80GB IDE drives running on RAID 5 giving 160GB space.

It was software RAID 5 and only an IDE channel for each drive was needed. (no slave configuration here...)

It's a lot of effort for what's it worth, but fun on the journey of discovery, nontheless.

4 80GB disks in RAID 5 should mean 240GB usable...?

For what it's worth, your original spec is overkill for a simple fileserver. Rather than getting a modern CPU or lots of RAM, make sure you get a hardware RAID card and fast drives.

Soldato
OP
Highpoint Rocket RAID 1640 4-Port SATA RAID 5 Host Adapter (CC-004-HP)

would that do for a raid card?

I can't see how I can save any money by going for cheaper cpu/motherboard (any suggestions?), as I can't find any that come out much cheaper with on board vga, unless I go second hand, which I can't be bothered with the hassle of.

Associate
I have Dell power edge 2400 servers x 2. One for virtualisation one as backup/file server. Both have dual PIII CPU's and have so far handled everything thrown at them, including media streaming. Dell PERC2 SCSI RAID controller. mirrored system drives and RAID 5 for data on both boxes. These can be bought from a famous auction site starting from around £100. Though you may have to upgrade the disks to get the capacity you require. Spares are available there too, nice n cheap. But they are loud, even with the fans in quiet mode!! I have 'em in the garage. Despite this kit being more or less obsolete, unless you run a data center, I think you will find them more than adequate.

Another option to consider, Just a thought.

regards

Back
Top Bottom