Spec/check my access point hardware

Soldato
Just finishing up a loft extension in which we've got a RJ45 port on the landing and in my office at the back of the house. Both are cabled separately to the front of the house where the router is. I'm with Virgin Media (200MB).

At minimum I need:

- A wireless access point for the 2nd floor landing
- A wireless access point for the office which also has ethernet out for my PC. I could do RJ45 -> switch -> PC/AP if that's better/easier

And then maybe a replacement router for the Virgin Hub.

We've got a Ubiquiti Dream Machine at work which I setup and really like, I can buy all the above through work to save VAT, but unsure what I need as they have a lot of devices.

Any improvement on a Dream Machine (optional), 2x Access Point Lite and a standard switch (already got a spare 6-port TP-Link)? Will the 2x APs work without a Ubiquiti router?

Associate
Netgear Orbi might fit what you need.
I have similar to what you are setting up (I think)
Virgin router in the loft office, one of the Orbi attached to that, 4 spare ethernet access points on that one. Second satellite Orbi is two floors down, also has 4 ethernet points.
The RBK50 gives excellent mesh wifi to the whole house garden and driveway.
For other more awkward places I use the TP Link 2000mbps powerline connectors. I now have Internet everywhere, including the garage.
The Orbi gives excellent coverage over 3 levels and 7 rooms, more powerful options are available.
Hope this helps.

Soldato
- A wireless access point for the 2nd floor landing

A UniFi UAP-HDNano or U6-LR would be my choice.

- A wireless access point for the office which also has ethernet out for my PC. I could do RJ45 -> switch -> PC/AP if that's better/easier

UAP-IW-HD would be a good option. Or put the UDM in this location.

Any improvement on a Dream Machine (optional), 2x Access Point Lite and a standard switch (already got a spare 6-port TP-Link)? Will the 2x APs work without a Ubiquiti router?

The UDM (not the Pro) is a decent device and would probably be a good option in the office with its 4-port switch.

The access points will absolutely work without a Ubiquiti router. You will need a controller though - so another benefit of the UDM is you get a controller built in.

Back
Top Bottom