1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spec compatibility check

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FishPolice, 16 May 2006.

1. FishPolice

Hitman

Need some advice on a gaming system I am gradually putting together.
    So far I have got:

Opteron 146 [jumped on the bandwagon last xmas lol]
    2 gb G.Skill DDR ZX PC3200

Next month I plan to get:

Antec Sonata II
    or P150
    Asrock 939 dual-sata2
    Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro

I plan to run this for about 2 months with my ancient GF3 and then buy:

X1800
    or X1900 -should have dropped enough in price for me by then

I would prefer a DFi Ultra-D mobo but it's taking forever to save up as it is, plus I'm a little apprehensive about getting a dud & having to wait ages for a replacement lol

Questions:
    1. Will this lot be compatible?
    2. Will I will need to upgrade the PSU when I eventually buy the new graphics card? (I do plan on overclocking if the opteron is any good so would I be better off with 500w or more?)
    3. I read in the Asrock mobo thread that some people a while back were having problems using Antec PSUs with that particular motherboard. Is there still a potential incompatibility here?
    4. Seems a shame that these 2 cases come with PSUs as standard. I assume though that you can fit any type of PSU in them though?

ps. remind me next time to just save up a big wad of cash first before I start buying things :D

2. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

Yes it is all compatible.

The PSU should be able to cope fine, it is by a good brand and offers stable power.

I'm unaware of any problems but I haven't been reading up on the ASRock motherboards really so that is no great surprise I suppose.

Yes any standard ATX PSU will fit if you want to replace them :)

3. SiriusB

Capodecina

If you're gonna be waiting ages for a graphics card I would probably go for an X1900. I got my X1900XT for about £289 ex VAT... OCUK have the crossfire edition for less than that at the moment :eek: or at least the last time I looked.

Still, 1900s should be a bit cheaper in 3 months time :)

Also, I wouldn't worry about getting a DFI. I have the NF4 Ultra-D and I am very happy with it so far :D. Even if you did get a duffer just send it back to OcUK or wherever you got it.

And yes you're right - you should have bought all at once. It killed me waiting 3 days for my case, nevermind waiting around since Christmas!

SiriusB