Spec Help

Soldato
I am about to upgrade one of my machines, which will involve a new CPU, RAM, motherboard and case. I won't get the CPU now with the wait of the "price cuts" I am not looking for a price check, but a component check.

Here is what I am thinking of.

Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Q6600 CPU (the reason for 4 cores is that I do a lot of things at once, for example, I could have 720p video playing on my LCD whilst working on intense datasets.)
Antec Nine Hundred

I am a bit stuck at the RAM as I am not sure which RAM to get. I had a look at G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HK PC2-6400C4 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK) as the timings look quite good.

I will perhaps overclock slightly and I would like to buy RAM which could handle this. I will buy another 2gb kit in due course as I will use Vista for its multithreading advantages. I may get a better GFX card but I see no need at the moment for this box as I am not a PC Gamer)

Suggestions please, I am willing to deviate from the motherboard and RAM I have in mind.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
Make sure you wait another 13 days until the Q6600 will halve in price! See HERE.

Ramwise, personally I would go for the G. Skill HZ PC6400, it will easily hit 1100MHz at very low timings and is reliable. You could also look at the Ballistix PC5300 - it has a track record of dieing but it will also hit 1100MHz easily enough.

Edit: Bare in mind that 4 sticks will limit your overclocking.

Soldato
OP
Jaffa_Cake said:
Make sure you wait another 13 days until the Q6600 will halve in price! See HERE.

Ramwise, personally I would go for the G. Skill HZ PC6400, it will easily hit 1100MHz at very low timings and is reliable. You could also look at the Ballistix PC5300 - it has a track record of dieing but it will also hit 1100MHz easily enough.

That's exactly what I am doing, gonna wait until July 22nd then buy the CPU. Those HZ chips look nice, think I will get them!

Is the case a good choice? Noise is not an issue with me, I love to have a well ventilated case!

Also, whats the best CPU cooler these days?

Associate
rafster said:
That's exactly what I am doing, gonna wait until July 22nd then buy the CPU. Those HZ chips look nice, think I will get them!

Is the case a good choice? Noise is not an issue with me, I love to have a well ventilated case!

Also, whats the best CPU cooler these days?

AFAIK those cases are very good coolers and quiet enough.

CPU cooler wise, for a quad core I would chose the Tuniq Tower or a Noctua (don't think the Noctua fits on that mobo). Should be fine for OCing.

Soldato
OP
Jaffa_Cake said:
AFAIK those cases are very good coolers and quiet enough.

CPU cooler wise, for a quad core I would chose the Tuniq Tower or a Noctua (don't think the Noctua fits on that mobo). Should be fine for OCing.

Excellent, I'm sold on that! Hurry up Jul 22nd :D

Back
Top Bottom