SPEC: Low Budget Gaming PC for Warcraft Classic

Associate
Hi there,

I am going to put together a PC for my mate who wants to play WoW Classic on its release next summer.

He only wants to spend £500, as he is mainly an Xbox lad. Hopefully, this is feasible. If the price was a bit over this mark it would probably be ok as I could bring it back down with Black Friday/ Cyber Monday deals.

Only tower required - no monitor, keyboard, mouse or any other extra shineys needed.

Would prefer Intel/Nvidia combo but open to AMD if it gets more bang for buck.

All suggestions much appreciated!

Associate
OP
self build or pre-built ?
Self build, I want as much bang for buck as possible so if I can save by building myself than be no problem.

I was looking at benchmarks for the Intel Core i3-8100 and I was actually quite impressed, it seemed to surpass the previous generations i5 in some gaming tests which shocked me.

Soldato
Self build, I want as much bang for buck as possible so if I can save by building myself than be no problem.

I was looking at benchmarks for the Intel Core i3-8100 and I was actually quite impressed, it seemed to surpass the previous generations i5 in some gaming tests which shocked me.

is his xbox an xbox one X by any chance ?

and does he need a monitor ?

Soldato
Aye it is an Xbox One X, no monitor required, he can pick one up in the Jan sales. I have made him aware that he should not have expectations of 4k gaming on this rig haha.

to be honest, over spec'd but will play games better then xbox could to be honest

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £520.11 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

grab a freesync screen so both xbox and pc can take advantage of freesync !

Associate
OP
Thanks for this Orbital. What do you think of the following setup in comparison to your AMD one? (no PSU included as I think I might have one somewhere)

EDIT*** oops there shouldn't be 2x ram

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £470.56 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks! I think it is 800w, bit overkill for this but it is just gathering dust and gives room for comfortable expansion I guess.

Which do you think is the better SSD, the TeamGroup or the Crucial?

Soldato
Thanks! I think it is 800w, bit overkill for this but it is just gathering dust and gives room for comfortable expansion I guess.

Which do you think is the better SSD, the TeamGroup or the Crucial?

which ever has best £ per GB :D

new disks normally lose 10GB when formatted even before installing windows which can take from 10-30gb of space .. get the larger one

Associate
OP
Ended up going for your RYZEN 5 SIX CORE 2600 build so thanks for that recommendation. Don't think I have built an AMD (gfx or GPU) build since they were Athlon, that was like an AMD 64 3500+/ X850 XT combo if I recall correctly, anything I should know when compared to Intel building, or all straightforward?

Associate
Ended up going for your RYZEN 5 SIX CORE 2600 build so thanks for that recommendation. Don't think I have built an AMD (gfx or GPU) build since they were Athlon, that was like an AMD 64 3500+/ X850 XT combo if I recall correctly, anything I should know when compared to Intel building, or all straightforward?
only surprise will be your bank balance, you're good to go otherwise.

Soldato
never linked a video to the forums before, so we shall see if this works lol, i have the classic WoW pack up to Draenor and this is the performance i am getting with my current system, high settings, fixed 1920x1080, extended view ranges.

guess i couldnt figure it out so a link instead lol

https://youtu.be/yamIk-tz5PM

Associate
OP
absolutely, intel may have the fastest on the market, but the prices are insane even for the now out of date 8th gen chips. I built a system 6 months ago and same cpu now costs almost double.

Yeh I am very pleased that I opened my mind to AMD this time, as before I wasn't really a fan. Seems like unless you have big big money to spend AMD is a no brainer.

never linked a video to the forums before, so we shall see if this works lol, i have the classic WoW pack up to Draenor and this is the performance i am getting with my current system, high settings, fixed 1920x1080, extended view ranges.

guess i couldnt figure it out so a link instead lol

https://youtu.be/yamIk-tz5PM

Nice one mate, what in-game graphics settings were you testing on?

Soldato
Yeh I am very pleased that I opened my mind to AMD this time, as before I wasn't really a fan. Seems like unless you have big big money to spend AMD is a no brainer.

Nice one mate, what in-game graphics settings were you testing on?

if this screenshot is clear enough, other than view distance i pretty much didnt touch anything else really..

IwwExwx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom