1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me..... 7.5K

Discussion in 'Motors' started by inflames, Jan 11, 2018.

1. inflames

Hitman

Well i have finally saved up the cash for my next car purchase, i have a budget of 7.5k i can push it to 8 if i find the correct car. I currently do around 10k miles a year, my daily commute is 15 miles each way on nation speed limit single carriage way. I would prefer a petrol but majority of the cars that i have been looking at have been diesel as due to the vast amount of them sold in the past.
    I wouldn't mind another diesel i had a Passat before that got wrote off and got replaced with my current petrol car. I like the idea of having V6 or 8V as i think they will be gone in the future with the push over to electric etc.
    My requirements, needs to be a large family car 5 seats, what rules out a CLS what i would love but i regularly have 5 of us in the car. A large boot as for that a allows me to fit a buggy in but my son should be out of it in the 6 month to a year and sometimes a wheel chair. I have been mostly looking at Saloons and estates. Not a massive fan of an SUV.

My short list at the moment:
    Mercedes E-class
    Bmw 5 Series
    Lexus GS
    Jaguar XF

2. leoncuprar

Hitman

For that budget I'd be looking at Octavia or Mondeo as options..

3. Scania

Capodecina

Just having a quick look on A/T bags you something like this....
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710210516005

It’s a 520d Estate with 110k miles, your not going to realistically get a V8 (or a Petrol) tbh but higher mileage 530d’s are out there.

The f11 certainly fits the large requirement but they are very prone to rear suspension failure (something the saloon version apparently isn’t as much) and of course at this mileage you’ll be well out of warranty...

If you want something like a BMW 5, your looking at high miles if you want a newer car or the less good e60/61 version (the e60 5 isn’t a bad car but the f10 is better) if you want lower miles.

Alternatively,a curveball suggestion, you could fulfill your V8 ambition but with the reassurance of a cast iron BMW used warranty on this...

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201801042450109?quoteref=fffd5907-c7e5-4454-bca2-601cd99cabfe

49k miles but it’s 12years old and not cheap - £6200, but it’ll be arguably one of the best examples you’ll find and backed up by a 12 month BMW used car warranty.

Still, the price leaves plenty left over to extend the BMW warranty and you could argue it’ll be a very good example with low miles that should serve you well for a good few years.

If you can overlook the age, it’s one hell of a car with arguably the best warranty in the business for £6200!

The sensible option is of course what leoncuprar says above,but, your a long time dead.... :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  4. inflames

Hitman

No thank you, both good cars but don't interest me.

If i can get a V6 or V8 it doesn't have to be estate, that why i have been looking at GS300/430

And to add, i am not to fussed about the age, as the age my current car is 15 years old.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
  5. Scania

Capodecina

I edited my post, I’d assumed it was an estate but it’s a saloon.

Ultimately try the ones on your shortlist and then find the best example of the one you like most.

Got to agree with scratching the V8 itch, I love mine, just need to do the V10 and V12 itches now! :D

6. inflames

Hitman

V10 or V12 Yes please :D:cool::D

7. xs2man

Mobster

8. inflames

Hitman

9. ExRayTed

Underboss

The XF is a lovely car and the 3lt diesel is a fantastic engine. Infotainment screen is woeful though, really laggy and the nav is useless

10. inflames

Hitman

I have read a few mixed reviews of the XF, they are a fanatic looking car. How have you found it to drive?

11. xs2man

Mobster

At which point you'll be on motorways most likely anyway, and the size of the car wont matter?

I too am looking for a similar motor, with a similar budget. So will be reading this thread with interest. Going to an auction tonight where they have a Jag XF SV8 going through, lol.

12. inflames

Hitman

Lol. SV8, would be interesting on what that goes for?

13. Scania

Capodecina

My other half was apprehensive of driving my 735i due to its size but now she’s more than happy to drive it.

They’ve got parking sensors etc, she’ll soon not notice the size.

14. xs2man

Mobster

I'll let you know. I'm not convinced it would be in my budget really, there are other things I am going through to monitor. But I'll take a note. This is it here: http://stock.morrisleslie.com/stock/details?reg=SP08JFO

15. ExRayTed

Underboss

Fantastic - but I have the XFR. A friend had the 3ltr diesel and rated it highly though.

16. xs2man

Mobster

£7000 was the bid on it. Went as a provisional so was close to the reserve price.

17. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

18. ExoMale

Mobster

i know its an suv/4wd big car, but what about an older porsche cayenne? sure by now you could get one in that budget? or go JDM and buy a skyline saloon

19. commited

Soldato