Spec Me a 3 Michelin Star Restaurant in Paris

Soldato
Anyone have any experience of any of these places? Recommendations? I've never even been to a 1 Michelin star place, but it's for a special occasion and well, why not!

Date wise I'm looking at the 6th July and it seems like a lot of these restaurants are closed over the weekend.

Favourite so far was Le Cinq, but slightly put off by Jay Rayner's savage review and the fact I'd need to wear a suit jacket for the meal. Is this common place or just due to Le Cinq's setting? (Hotel George V). Would either have to borrow a house jacket or somehow bring my suit on the plane.

Soldato
OP
It depends on the place - Some do insist on a proper suit for lunch and full-on dinner jacket/tuxedo for dinner... Others simply say smart-casual, which can include jeans if done well enough. Generally, smart trousers, a collared shirt and a nice pullover (if it's cold enough) will be fine.

Some of the swankiest places around really don't care, as you're there because you have class and taste... which also means you don't need to flaunt it. I like these places!
Others insist, as you're there because you've got money and are going somewhere swanky to flaunt it.

Indeed - Was hoping to see if anyone knew of which were a bit more relaxed.

Obviously would be planning to be dressed up, just not in a full on suit.

Soldato
I can't answer the original question but I would suggest just looking at 1-2 stars for a start. There'll be more choice (to choose something a bit less formal for example) and in a way you can see if you like that and would want to do a 3 star experience. My personal opinion is that there's diminishing returns when you go up the stars (for a lot more money in some cases, especially Paris) and you'd have an absolutely fantastic experience at a 1-2 star place rather than spending twice as much on a 3 star place. Just my 2p.

NB: I've only been to 1-2 star places and am trying to find the right occasion to do a 3 star place properly. No holds barred, tasting menu, full wine flight etc :)

daz

daz

Soldato
The three star places I've been to have been "better", but whether that's worth the increased cost is entirely subjective. You can't ever call any three star restaurants value for money, but there are very small things that you notice that really makes a meal stand out, mainly service related. I say a 'meal' - it's really not - it's a full on experience in most cases. I always look on it the same way that some people pay for supercar driving experiences, I like to pay for eating experiences! That said, thinking back through some of the michelin starred restaurants I've eaten at - I would actually say the Fat Duck was probably at the lower end in terms of enjoyment for the meal in its entirety. Probably a personal thing but it seemed a bit novelty and gimmicky, almost for the sake of it. You also have to remember that the stars are awarded for a restaurant or 'eatery' in its category. So 1 star at one type of restaurant can be a completely different experience to 1 star gastropub. So whatever you choose have a little look before you book so you know what kind of experience to expect.

Soldato
OP
In the end, I booked Le Cinq due to various factors. Many of the other restaurants were not open over the weekend as well. We're going in just over 2 weeks, so ill update to let you know how we got on!

Associate
In the end, I booked Le Cinq due to various factors. Many of the other restaurants were not open over the weekend as well. We're going in just over 2 weeks, so ill update to let you know how we got on!

I'm not shy about paying out for a meal experience but those prices are just unfathomable. Interested to hear if it was worth the outlay.
http://www.restaurant-lecinq.com/en/menus/menu-uk/

Soldato
looks lovely, and I'm not averse to paying for a nice meal, but some of those prices are just ripping the proverbial - £125 for prawns and pancakes to start with!!!
Yeah that's insane. I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred for a tasting menu where it's the while experience, but over £100 for a single dish.. no thanks!

Back
Top Bottom