Spec me a bike. Help!

Soldato
OP
Had a good look at all the suggestions.

GSR600 - Was tempted, but for decent one's could be quite pricey
Street Triple - Didn't like the design (personally)
Hornet - Yeah quite decent. Still an option
SV650 - Not overly impressed heard they're quite heavy
Bandit - Still an option.

With the above said, I think the all rounder for price and what I'm getting decided to go with the Kawasaki ER-6N. I can get a 2012+ low millage for around the £3k mark.

Any opinions on this?

Also looking at insurance, crazy how different the price is from keeping it in a garage to on the drive. When i'l looking for insurance, it asks for additional security feature..... I intended to use a super thick chain and pad lock?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, don't.

If you want a bike like that then the SV is the superior option, they're a much nicer bike and engine setup. They're also a touch under 200kg wet so light by all accounts.

Also you'll probably find adding really expensive chains and padlocks to your insurance will lower it by at most £50 over the year but if you forget to use it and your bike gets nicked then it's a perfect get out for the insurance.

I chain my bike up every night but as far as the insurance company are concerned it sits on my drive with no security because it saved me about £30 I think and I'd rather not give them an easy get out of paying card for that pitiful saving.

Do you know what bikes the training school use? There's a good chance you'll end up on an ER6N, I did mine on one and while they're not "bad" bikes they're just a bit meh. Now I'm not proclaiming the SV to be the most exciting bike on earth, we all know they're not but they've got a bit more character than the ER6.

Ok thanks for the info... I've look again harder at the SV.

And yes, you're correct. The course is taught on the ER's

Soldato
OP
I'm a little confused as to why you chose the ER6 and say not the SV because of weight.The SV is lighter (by a meaningless kg or two) but they're pretty much same class weight/power wise. If you go look at the fact they're commonly raced, they're not overly heavy bikes ;)

Anyways I personally prefered the looks of the ER6f when shopping for my first bike but ended with an SV650S simply because it was cheaper to buy and on insurance and after riding both again I'm glad I did. I didn't really consider the bandit because i wanted a twin.

Insurance wise it saves very little (for my K1300R it's a fiver a year less to delcare it chained with an almax!). My advise is don't bother declaring it, chain it up if you want. If it gets nicked without the chain you're ok.

For those reasons.... Perhaps I'm being petty, but I just don't like the look of any of the SV650/600's.....

Its only a stop gap bike for 3 years..... I watched a review on the 2014 ER-6n vs MT07 and track wise the ER won, less instant more controlled power which would probably suit me more to start with.

Soldato
OP
The MT07 was known for a snatchy throttle when it was first released IIRC but I think they tweaked the map to smooth it out a bit so that may not be as applicable now.

To be fair if it's coming down to looks then it's whatever you fancy as the old saying goes "if you don't turn round to look at your bike after you've parked you bought the wrong one".

In the same way I don't think I'll ever buy a naked bike as I'm a whore for some fairing.

Fair enough.... From 1998 when I first saw a carbon naked black bandit 600 I just fell in love! Since then I've wanted the modern equivalent, which imo was the MT07.... However for £4500 (if I'm lucky) is a stretch too far, when I equally love the design of the naked ER-6.

So yes, I am purely going on looks over anything else. There I admit it haha.

Soldato
OP
tom_e;30479739 said:
It's never quite that simple for example to turn a faired SV into the naked version involves changing headlights,yokes,bars,brake/throttle/clutch lines and is by all accounts a pain in the backside.

The ER6F already has normal bars rather than clip ons so it may be a little simpler but I wouldn't bank on it being easier and cheaper to just buy a N in the first place.

Got you. Thanks.

Have to say, tho I'm not surprised.... People in bikers café are a lot nicer and more helpful regarding personal opinions and tastes than those motors chat room!

Much respect all!

Soldato
OP
arfoll;30479753 said:
There's nothing wrong with not considering a bike because you don't like the looks of it! If you don't like it, fair enough, I'm not a huge fan of the looks especially of the naked SV, although I do think the rear taillight looks ace and it has grown on me a bit.

Go look at ducatti monsters 6xx :)

Already have haha...... Maybe when the kids move out haha.

The brand new MT - 09 is the pinnacle of design in my eyes.... Getting it in 3 years time.

Soldato
OP
tom_e;30479788 said:
To be fair when it comes to bikes they're more of a heart choice than a head choice so no ones going to go mental and start stamping their feet unlike when someone tries buying something other than a BMW or Mondeo in motors.

You buy what you love and you learn to love/live with the quirks.

Haha yeah sounds about right!

Tho I do own a Mondeo... So I'm considered half decent :p:D.

I still think in my heart I'm going to get the ER-6N... SV's out the window, the bandit is slightly dated, the MT07 is a bit pricey..... Meh..... That said......

I need to pass my test first haha.

Soldato
OP
wakadoo;30479860 said:
the SV650 is a snatchy beast and not passenger friendly tbh, i had a pointy for 6 years and i really did like it.

i went for a newer er650n and i will not say its loads better but it is a comfier
ride and passengers are happier on it.

if i was a newbie all over again and know what i know now i would go for the
sfv650 Gladius, comfort of the er with the fun filled sv lump.

either way you will be bored after a few months if this is you're only bike so try a z750 as a starter, mild enough a low revs, grunty enough when
given some beans.

Z750..... Wow, i'm liking this! Thanks!

The Street triple doesn't do anything for me!

Soldato
OP
I wont be carrying anyone on the back haha!

Yeah i will be testing as many as i can before i purchase, but the z750 seems to be tipping it now due to amazing prices and a design i love!

NOTE: Having seen some video's of the Striple, i am coming around to the design.... and the fact people rave about it!

Also insurance is £12pcm on the Z750 for fire and theft ... Dont think i'l go fully comp on a £2900 bike when the excess is £600. Because lets face if i smash it up i'l have to repair it myself.

Back
Top Bottom