Spec me a car fire extinguisher

Caporegime
After a small incident on the A689 on Saturday when I suddenly lost all power in my midget at 70mph and some "fluid" started spraying up all over the bonnet and windscreen, I pulled over and discovered my main fuel pipe had become disconnected from the carbs and was just pumping petrol all over the engine.

No idea how it managed to not catch fire, especially on the hot exhaust lcb. Last time I checked temps on that it was several hundred degrees celsius.

But made me realise what a lucky escape I had as I dont carry a fire extinguisher.

So what kind do i want? I would imagine the main types of fire I am likely to encounter are either petrol or electrical.

Links gratefully received.

Thanks

Caporegime
OP
One of the firesticks like these: https://firesafetystick.com/

More expensive but they last forever and you never need to get them checked and re-pressurised. They are also way smaller, lighter and don't leave a mess.

Powder makes a big mess, if you have to spray it in the engine bay it might stop the fire but you'll have to clean it all up before you can use the car again.

Thanks. good point about the powder mess! Although that would still be better than having no car!

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for all the replies. Covered bases and got a 2kg powder one and a firestick.

Firestick i can use its its a small electrical fire, the powder one I think i would have used on Saturday, or tried to use, as not sure even a 2kg one would have put out a petrol fire with a couple of gallons of petrol sloshing around.

If its not out by then, its never going to be!

Caporegime
OP
Just make sure you secure the traditional types properly otherwise they can become lethal in a crash. Just bolting them to some trim isn't enough, it also needs to be in reach from the drivers seat :p

Good tip, thanks!!!!! Im going to fix it behind the passenger seat on the small shelf bit. Should be really easy to grab in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom