Spec me a case, please?

Soldato
Hi all,

I currently have a Nanoxia Dead Silence case (DS1 or 2, I can't remember) and I've never really liked it for reasons I can't explain. I think it's just the way it looks.

I have the following hardware:

Gigabyte Sniper.M5 mobo (MATX)
Noctua NH-D15S cooler
1080 Ti Founders Edition
Corsair 860w PSU
1 X SSD + 2 X HDD

I want a small case, but I'm don't think I'll get my wish because the cooler is massive, and I may put a 120mm AIO cooler on the GPU. I don't want a case with a window, RGBs, or any other fancy nonsense.

I've always like the look of the Corsair Carbide 240 but the Noctua won't fit. Which cases should I be considering? I'm well out of the loop :(

Associate
I want a small case, but I'm don't think I'll get my wish because the cooler is massive, and I may put a 120mm AIO cooler on the GPU. I don't want a case with a window, RGBs, or any other fancy nonsense.

If you want clean looks then maybe the Fractal Define Mini C (mATX and mITX)? The base model doesn't have a window and holds 2 x 3.5" and 3 x 2.5". Noctua is 160mm based on website without fans but not sure how much height the fans add? Or you can mount them longer anyway? The Define Mini C supports coolers up to 170mm based on the Fractal site.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/fractal-design-define-mini-c-micro-atx-case-black-ca-075-fd.html

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. Whilst that Kolink case embodies everything I don't want in a case :)p), the Raijintek Styx is very, very nice! I read a review of it last night and the only real negative that they had to say about it was the lack of cable management features.

I stumbled across the Fractal Design Define Mini C last night, thanks @Bugbait! My only concern with it is, would I be able to mount a 120mm AIO to the front of the case for my GPU? I have a 1080 Ti FE card, and I'm thinking about attaching a NZXT Kraken G12 to it along with a Kraken M22 AIO but I can't mount it at the back of the case since I have the Noctua cooler. The specs page says that you can, but I don't know if it will conflict with the length of the GPU.

EDIT: The other option is to keep the case I have (meh) and mount the Kraken M22 AIO to the bottom of the case so that the air is expelled onto the floor. I'm not sure if this will work though since the pump will be below the graphics card.

Last edited:
Associate
How long is the 1080Ti FE? You might just squeeze an AIO in the front if you get slim fans(15mm odd). The supported GPU length is 315mm with standard 25mm fans so it would be very, very close. Another option is to get a larger model which adds more depth and opens up bottom mounted radiator mounting options.

Ideally the air should always be an intake for radiators to get the coolest air across the fins. Heat build up in the case is less of an issue since the CPU and GPU are taken care of.

Pump location, especially for AIO solutions doesn't matter as long as there is enough head pressure (shouldn't be an issue given minimum resistance and short tubing) since they're supposed to be pre-bled at the factory. Ideally the pump should be mounted lower than other components anyway to prevent air from accumulating there.

Soldato
OP
Hey @Bugbait

The FE card is 267mm long, but I don't know if the Kraken G12 adds any extra length to it. I think you might be right and I'll have to relent and get a bigger case than the Mini C. I guess I could get rid of the Noctua cooler and replace it with a 240mm AIO, but I actually replaced a H100i v2 with it because the H100i went faulty and I think the Noctua does a better job.

Associate
Based purely on the pictures from the NZXT site the Kraken G12 shroud looks shorter than the PCB. Looking at the site pictures and manual they instruct that the tubing should route out the back of the card. This might cause an issue but since the shroud is shorter than the PCB it's probably be fine.

Soldato
OP
If you want clean looks then maybe the Fractal Define Mini C (mATX and mITX)?

I found this review of the Mini C earlier, and it looks like it will fit my needs.

I could fit the AIO for the GPU in the same position that they've installed theirs for the CPU, and it wouldn't conflict with a GPU of any length.

My 160mm Noctua NH-D15S would fit because the non-windowed version of the case supports 170mm coolers, and there's space at the bottom for 2 x 3.5" drives and my SSD.

I had a quick look and this was the only photo I could find of the Noctua cooler inside of the Mini C, and it looks like there will be enough space in front of it for the AIO. I know it's not ideal to have the AIO blowing air across the CPU cooler, but I think the Noctua will be able to cope with it.

HgGDiZF.jpg

I'm battling to find something wrong with this case :)

Last edited:
Associate
If there are heat issues you can remove the top cover, exposing 2 x 120/140 fan mounts and add an intake fan or two to blow cold air across the Noctua. That's what I have on my Define R6 at the moment. Had a spare 140mm fan so mounted it directly above the Noctua for extra cooling.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, one more question.

I'm leaning towards the Define C instead of the Mini C for the moment because the size difference is very small, and it's still a much smaller case than my Nanoxia Dead Silence 1. The photo below shows the Noctua NH-D15S installed in a Define C. It looks like there's enough space behind the CPU cooler to install a Corsair H55 or similar AIO for the GPU. Am I right?

The Corsair H55 only has 300m hoses but it's a fraction of the price of the NZXT X42 which is the only AIO compatible with the Kraken G12 that has 400mm hoses. If I could mount the H55 at the rear of the case, it would save me about £60.

H5QTUZE.jpg

EDIT: I know that installing the radiator at the rear with hot air being blown onto it from the CPU isn't clever, but my choices are limited. If I install the AIO for the GPU at the front on the case it'll blow hot air across the CPU and/or GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
As per my previous post, if you're adamant about using an AIO on your GPU then you're better off front mounting the radiator (240?) and adding intake fans at the top to get cool air across the CPU. A slim 120 will struggle to cool a 1080Ti in the best of scenarios so adding hot air through it will really impact its ability to cool. If space and budget are an issue then you're probably better off leaving the 1080Ti on air being fed by the intake fans. The Define C also has room for a 120mm fan in the base so you could also add an intake there as well. More fans at lower speed are always preferable to fewer fans at higher speed if silence is what you're after.

Soldato
OP
As per my previous post, if you're adamant about using an AIO on your GPU then you're better off front mounting the radiator (240?) and adding intake fans at the top to get cool air across the CPU. A slim 120 will struggle to cool a 1080Ti in the best of scenarios so adding hot air through it will really impact its ability to cool. If space and budget are an issue then you're probably better off leaving the 1080Ti on air being fed by the intake fans. The Define C also has room for a 120mm fan in the base so you could also add an intake there as well. More fans at lower speed are always preferable to fewer fans at higher speed if silence is what you're after.

I've seen some videos on YouTube of a H55/H75/H90 cooling a 1080 Ti fairly well (<59c) so I think a 120/140mm will be able to cope with the heat, although I get what you're saying about the 240mm.

Budget isn't an issue, but I am loathed to spend £130 on a Kraken X52 in order to get 400mm hoses since I have absolutely no interest in RGB lighting. I would buy any other 240mm AIO that's compatible with the Kraken G12, but since they all come with ~300mm hoses I don't know if they will reach the front of the Define C. I am battling to find a decent photo of someone that's front-mounted a 240mm AIO and used it with a G12. This photo is the only one I've come across but he doesn't mention what case he's using. It definitely looks bigger than a Define C to me.

The objectives of this upgrade are:

A) Reduce overall system noise at idle and load.
B) Reduce GPU temps since the FE's cooler is both ineffective and loud.
C) I need a smaller case as I am moving my PC to a smaller room soon.

Associate
You definitely don't want to consider a custom loop? Really opens the door for placement and tube routing then. For a compact build I'd always try custom first (budget allowing) since in a confined space you need all the flexibility you can. While mid to high 50s on the 1080Ti with AIO is a great improvement over a blower style fan, a full cover block in a custom loop would bring it under 40C while not needing a fan to cool the VRM and RAM. This would also do a better job at achieving (A) and (B).

Soldato
OP
You definitely don't want to consider a custom loop? Really opens the door for placement and tube routing then. For a compact build I'd always try custom first (budget allowing) since in a confined space you need all the flexibility you can. While mid to high 50s on the 1080Ti with AIO is a great improvement over a blower style fan, a full cover block in a custom loop would bring it under 40C while not needing a fan to cool the VRM and RAM. This would also do a better job at achieving (A) and (B).

I know that custom watercooling is the good ****, but I did it many years ago with Koolance products and I really don't want that hassle again :(

I think I'll go for this:

Fractal Define C
Kraken X52 AIO + Noctua fans (not sure which ones at this stage)
Kraken G12 + Noctua AF-A9 PWM fan upgrade
Noctua fan for rear exhaust (Probably a NF-F12 PWM)

It would probably be a lot cheaper and easier to sell the 1080 Ti FE and get a custom-cooled card, but I really do want a smaller case :p

Associate
Kraken X52 AIO + Noctua fans (not sure which ones at this stage)
Noctua fan for rear exhaust (Probably a NF-F12 PWM)

For radiators you want high static pressure so get the NF-F12 PWM and for exhaust you want airflow so NF-P12 PWM.

It would probably be a lot cheaper and easier to sell the 1080 Ti FE and get a custom-cooled card, but I really do want a smaller case :p

Last year yes. I grabbed the Gigabyte with water block since it was slightly cheaper (and no warranty concerns) than getting an OC binned 1080Ti and then adding the block myself which is what I would normally do. In the current market though, it's actually better to install the block yourself.

Soldato
OP
So life happened and I never got round to getting a new case :(

I need to put these components in a new mATX case:

Gigabyte Sniper.M5 mobo (mATX)
Noctua NH-D15S cooler
Corsair 860w PSU
1 X SSD + 2 X HDD
No GPU

I need the smallest, least blingy mATX case possible that the NH-D15S will fit into. The PC is going to be re-purposed as a HTPC and hopefully fit behind the TV.

It looks like the Fractal Define Mini C is no longer available so I need an alternative option. I'm well out of the PC game these days so would someone mind letting me know if there are any new cases that meet these requirements please?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom