Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Very cool :cool:

Do you know if Hikvision plan to release any mainstream 12MP cameras anytime soon? Seems most of their stuff goes up to 8MP.

I see Reolink has a 12MP, but it's Gen 1 and they seem sold out. Apparently Gen 2 is due out this quarter, but they don't know when. I was wondering if the other brands were planning any comparable resolution ones?

Soldato
Very cool :cool:

Do you know if Hikvision plan to release any mainstream 12MP cameras anytime soon? Seems most of their stuff goes up to 8MP.

I see Reolink has a 12MP, but it's Gen 1 and they seem sold out. Apparently Gen 2 is due out this quarter, but they don't know when. I was wondering if the other brands were planning any comparable resolution ones?

What benefit do you see from 12MP? Dahua have several 12MP cameras and apart from the pub-bragging rights aspect of it, they’re not actually very good. Only the 12MP fisheye is really worth watching.

What we see is a drop in sensitivity as the pixel count goes up, so in the daylight, the 12MP cameras look fine, and if you have a 12MP display, you can see a difference. But very few people have better than 4K/8MP so it’s a bit pointless. When it gets dark, the 2MP, 4MP and 5MP cameras can still give really decent usable images out to 100m whereas the 12MP are severely restricted to 15-20m. You can’t beat physics and our top selling cameras are all 4 or 5MP.

Soldato
and if you have a 12MP display, you can see a difference. But very few people have better than 4K/8MP so it’s a bit pointless.

I figured the extra benefit here would come from more detail and information available when you need to look at a crop of the image, in which case that data would be available when needed if you zoom in, regardless of the display you're using to view it. eg. to look at a face or close up of an individual or a licence plate.

The night vision and sensor issue I can understand. But tbh I'm not fussed beyound 15-20m per camera, that's plenty of distance for my use cases. Also, we have pretty powerful security lights, so I presume if someone gets near the property, the camera will switch from night to normal mode.

I really need to go back and read the last few pages of this thread to read all your recent recommendations.

Soldato
I'm wrapping up multiple projects outside that involve multiple armoured power cables outside and will also eventually have probably 5 or more ethernet cables that all need to pass from outside to inside the house. The bulk of the ethernet cables will be CCTV.

Anyone know what's good practice for getting a large amount of cable into the house neatly?

From a US based CCTV install video I see he picked up a box with a removable cover and portion that inserts to the wall itself to help feed cable through the wall.

See this video with timestamp at 6min 21 seconds

https://youtu.be/_O6UUl2AOjY?t=381

After looking on sites like CEF I couldn't really see anything similar. What would be the best way of consolidating cables in a box for a UK house and then getting them through brick?

Soldato
That looks very much like 55mm or 2” ducting. The bit that goes through the wall is just a flat to round elbow with a cover and he joins on a couple of bits of 2” ducting to make the pass-through pipe. And I would never make a penetration that big in a wall in a house. I’d rather make two 25mm penetrations and pass the cables through in two bundles.

Google Plastic Pipe Shop and give them a ring. They’ve got all that sort of stuff.

Associate
Hoping for some help please WJA96 .

My systems been running great but pass couple of days i have no notification's on my phone when lines crossed using DMSS. No idea why not touched it or done anything to it i've rebooted the NVR etc still nothing ?

Also noticed when I've logged in to the web browser one camera gives me an error it can't be reached ?

"Hmmm… can't reach this pageIt looks like the webpage at http://192.168.1.108:10080/ might be having issues or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. "

The camera is working and flashing etc and showing on live feed though.

Any help be great please as i have no idea why the apps not telling me anything

Thank you
Scott

Associate
192.168.1.108 is generally the IP address of the NVR and the cameras are on 10.x.x.x powered off the NVR. Is that how it's set up? So if you log into 192.168.1.108 you should get the NVR landing page.

Thanks for your reply

Yeah the landing page works fine but when i go to select the camera at the top i get that error

The Front lower camera works fine when i click the web link there but not the top one ?

Thanks

Soldato
I would start by switching the camera off and then on again - just unplug it from the back of the NVR, wait at least 5 minutes then plug it back in.

Are you on the latest firmware on the cameras and NVR? There was a bug in the firmware updater that won't actually update the firmware unless you're on teh latest one when they update the web page. So a LOT of people with auto-updates are not getting updates.

Associate
I would start by switching the camera off and then on again - just unplug it from the back of the NVR, wait at least 5 minutes then plug it back in.

Are you on the latest firmware on the cameras and NVR? There was a bug in the firmware updater that won't actually update the firmware unless you're on teh latest one when they update the web page. So a LOT of people with auto-updates are not getting updates.

Yeah pulled the cable out left it 10 mins plus put it back still the same issue when i use the web browser icon to go to the settings of that camera?

Firmware not to sure where to check for that is this it ?

Thanks

Associate
Hmmm - Is it the high up camera or the one on the garage?

You may need to physically reset it with the button under the cover.

Yeah it's at the top right of the house , ladders needed for that but go up atm as struggling from booster jab my lymph nodes swollen right up under arm so struggling to move around on that side :(.

When i take the Christmas lights down i'll reboot it then i assume that will lose al the setting i have done for that crossing lines etc?

Any ideas about the app not showing any notifications when they did but seem to have stopped past few days .

Thanks

Soldato
Yeah it's at the top right of the house , ladders needed for that but go up atm as struggling from booster jab my lymph nodes swollen right up under arm so struggling to move around on that side :(.

When i take the Christmas lights down i'll reboot it then i assume that will lose al the setting i have done for that crossing lines etc?

Any ideas about the app not showing any notifications when they did but seem to have stopped past few days .

Thanks

The camera sends the information to the NVR and the NVR forwards on the information to DMSS. As the camera appears to be working correctly except for the link to the NVR, it will be generating the alerts but the NVR won't be passing them on. You could try adding the camera manually in DMSS and get the alerts directly from the camera.

I'll raise this with Technical Support and ask if it's something they have seen before. Probably a good thing you can't reset it just yet!

Associate
The camera sends the information to the NVR and the NVR forwards on the information to DMSS. As the camera appears to be working correctly except for the link to the NVR, it will be generating the alerts but the NVR won't be passing them on. You could try adding the camera manually in DMSS and get the alerts directly from the camera.

I'll raise this with Technical Support and ask if it's something they have seen before. Probably a good thing you can't reset it just yet!

Thing is it's both cameras that aren't pinging any notifications at all not just that top one ? And the bottom one i can login too etc no problem at all via the browser .

Associate
And notifications haven't mysteriously switched themselves off in the app? I had one customer whose wife was switching them off when he wasn't looking!

Yeah checked all that thought I'd knocked it off all there even cleared it and re done it still not working.

downloaded Easy viewer plus and that's worked it seems so app issue with DMSS it seems ?

Any other apps to try would you know of that ?

Thank you

Soldato
Yeah checked all that thought I'd knocked it off all there even cleared it and re done it still not working.

downloaded Easy viewer plus and that's worked it seems so app issue with DMSS it seems ?

Any other apps to try would you know of that ?

Thank you

If the app isn’t working, better to get the app working than to switch to something else. They’re supposedly selling a professional solution. It should work.

Back
Top Bottom