Spec me a cooler for 1151?

Associate
Hi all.

I currently have a g4560 with its stock cooler. The whiney fan is a little annoying.

I'll be shortly moving The components into a new case, phanteks evolv ATX, so it seems like a good time to swap The cooler.

The g4560 is a stop gap until the price of used kaby lake i5/i7 cpus comes down. Saying that, it does what i need it to, so i may have it some time. I have a gigabyte z270 ultra gaming, so plan to over clock a bit after the cpu upgrade.

Ideally I'd like to re-use the cooler with the i5/i7.

Id like to spend around £30, maybe £35 ish if there is something worth the extra.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Yeah those noctua coolers look good... cost more than my cpu though...

Thanks doyll, I've read mixed reviews of the case for cooling. I'm sure I can make it work well enough for my needs. What cooler are you using?

Associate
OP
i agree regarding the case. ive had 10 years out of my current case (lian li) and its only being changed because its getting a bit cramped, but mainly because i fancy a change.

ive never really thought about the cooler being a long term investment, but i did get 10 years out of my old of of those too. I had the same motherboard for the 10 years, upgraded ram CPU drives and GPU over the years, i'm not a big gamer, though i'd like to get more into it... if only i had the time.

Thinking about it now, i had the Arctic cooling freezer 7, and i never thought it was quiet enough really, had i invested more at the start, i would have been better off.

So i'm convinced... sort of... that i should invest in a decent cooler, i'll do a bit more reading to see if reviews etc can convince me to spend more lol.

any advice for this case specifically to get the best cooling performance?

I've bought used, its the non-glass version of the evolv ATX... i quite fancied the glass version, but this one was too much of a bargain to pass on.

Associate
OP
My Evolv ATX has
2x PH-F140MP front intake fans with all openings but where fans are sealed off so none of the air fans are pushing into case can leak back in front of fans.
Upper front intake is speed controlled based on CPU temp and lower front intake is speed controlled based on GPU temp.
No exhaust fans and all PCIe back slot covers removed to improve front to back flow around GPU.

This is on i7 6700K with TRUE Spirit 140 rev. A cooler.
System runs cool and quiet.

I'm thinking of changing cooler to Archon IB-E X2, Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme or Le Grand Macho. All are as good as the best like NH-D15 .. Le Grand Macho is quieter, Archon IB-E has offset base for great PCIe clearance, if I use Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme I will need to change front intakes to matching high performance fans to match it's TY-143 130cfm fans' airflow needs.

seems like a good plan. What did you do at the top? seal it up? or leave it as it is?

Thanks

Associate
OP
I'm assuming the case will come with the stock fans, are these any good? i recently bought 2x "Akasa Apache Black Ultra Silent AK-FN058" 120mm fans for my existing case, would i be better with these? or to change to better 140mm fans?

Silence is golden.

thanks

Associate
OP
Ok, so looking around there seems to be ones with a single fan and double fan, 120mm and 140mm...

i guess dual fan is better?

the ram i have is Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MH, do i need to be cautious about RAM clearance?

Associate
OP
Hi, i wasn't talking about any in particular, but for example...

this has a single 120mm fan:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-shadow-rock-2-cpu-cooler-hs-006-bq.html

This has a single 140mm fan:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html

and this has dual fans:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...l-wing-boost-pwm-edition-green-bu-0c7-tl.html

price wise, there isnt a lot in it.

I would imagine that the 140mm single fans would be quietest, at the expense of space (might not fit in all cases). The dual fans would have better cooling power, at the expense of noise, and the 120mm single fans are much the same as the 140mm options, but with a smaller fan, that may make more noise if it spins quicker.

Obviously, this assumes all the heat sinks are created equal, which they probably aren't, but does this make sense?

i assume a 140mm cooler would fit in the Evolv ATX case?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom