Spec me a cooler for 1151?

Associate
OP
Ok, so looking around there seems to be ones with a single fan and double fan, 120mm and 140mm...

i guess dual fan is better?

the ram i have is Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MH, do i need to be cautious about RAM clearance?

Soldato
Ok, so looking around there seems to be ones with a single fan and double fan, 120mm and 140mm...

i guess dual fan is better?

the ram i have is Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MH, do i need to be cautious about RAM clearance?
What coolers are you talking about? Single or double fan depends on what cooler they are being used on. Most all double fan coolers used with single fan give temps only 1-3c warmer .. so not a big deal. Making sure case is flowing cool air to CPU & GPU coolers by pushing their heated exhaust out of case without it mixing with cool intake air makes way more difference in component temps then if cooler has 1 or 2 fans .. assuming cooler is a 2 fan cooler.

Associate
OP
Hi, i wasn't talking about any in particular, but for example...

this has a single 120mm fan:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-shadow-rock-2-cpu-cooler-hs-006-bq.html

This has a single 140mm fan:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html

and this has dual fans:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...l-wing-boost-pwm-edition-green-bu-0c7-tl.html

price wise, there isnt a lot in it.

I would imagine that the 140mm single fans would be quietest, at the expense of space (might not fit in all cases). The dual fans would have better cooling power, at the expense of noise, and the 120mm single fans are much the same as the 140mm options, but with a smaller fan, that may make more noise if it spins quicker.

Obviously, this assumes all the heat sinks are created equal, which they probably aren't, but does this make sense?

i assume a 140mm cooler would fit in the Evolv ATX case?

thanks

Soldato
Megahalms is 130x158.7x74mm & 6x 6mm heatpipes (WxHxD w/o fan/s)
Broken 3 is 146x161x100mm with 5x 6mm heatpipes
Shadow Rock 2 is 147 x 122 x 160 with 4x 6mm heatpipes

Their cool ability is in the same order.
Megahalms is better then Broken 3, is better than Shadow Rock 2, but the stacked fans are not going to make more than 2-3c difference, if that much

You might want to look at Scythe Mugen 5 and Mugen Max too.

Soldato
I don't know how tall Corsair Vengeance LPX is .. I think 31-34mm, so if 34mm you want bottom of fins to be at least about 29mm above bottom of cool base.

RAM sockets are usually 50-55mm in front of center of CPU socket.

Check the distance from center of CPU to nearest PCIe socket you plan to is far enough away the cooler fins will not be too close and block it.

Associate
you should be fine, I'm using same LPX ram as yourself height wise and all I have to do is move the fan mount up a little bit on the cooler fan in my case where its above it

Associate
I'm using a Thermalright Silver arrow which can be seen here installed on the 6th pic down. You can see by the way the fans are secured to the cooler, they can move up and down slightly.

You can't buy my version anymore, it's too old lol, I have also had the Noctua D14 before as well and could do the same trick of moving the fan up slightly as well.

Soldato
I'm using a Thermalright Silver arrow which can be seen here installed on the 6th pic down. You can see by the way the fans are secured to the cooler, they can move up and down slightly.

You can't buy my version anymore, it's too old lol, I have also had the Noctua D14 before as well and could do the same trick of moving the fan up slightly as well.
Not many of us using original Silver Arrows these days! :D
Still a great cooler, like D14. Both cool as good as best of the best new models. ;)

Associate
Still a great cooler, like D14. Both cool as good as best of the best new models. ;)
I have the similarly old IFX-14 from the i7 920 days doing a great job keeping an overclocked 6700k under 55c. Kudos to the people who came up with the bolt thru kit.

Soldato
I have the similarly old IFX-14 from the i7 920 days doing a great job keeping an overclocked 6700k under 55c. Kudos to the people who came up with the bolt thru kit.
Wow! I have IFX-14 w/ HR-10 CPU socket back side cooler setting in 'cabinet of treasures' ..as well as old Cogage Arrow.
Bit of trivia, 'IFX' stands for 'Inferno Fire eXtinguisher'. :D

Associate

no lol, like me, its a bit of a dinosaur now haha, had the D14 before that and only changed because it had better ram clearance at the time, they are both superb tbh as you say. Even the original fans are still going well and still quiet.

If I were buying a cpu cooler today, I would go for a dual tower design every time.

Soldato
no lol, like me, its a bit of a dinosaur now haha, had the D14 before that and only changed because it had better ram clearance at the time, they are both superb tbh as you say. Even the original fans are still going well and still quiet.

If I were buying a cpu cooler today, I would go for a dual tower design every time.
I'm using equal number of twin tower and single tower coolers. TRUE Spirit 140 Power is every bit as good as any twin tower, and Le Grand Macho is at least as good if not slightly better. Reeven single tower Ouranos is a little better than their twin tower Okeanos .. crazy names, but good coolers.

Back
Top Bottom