Spec me a dedicated E-reader please...

Caporegime
I’ve never done it but I thought it was possible to just drag and drop onto a Kindle, into the documents folder.

Either that or Calibre.

Or just email them across. That’s how I do it.

I use my Kindle Oasis every day, wouldn’t be without it.

Yeah I do the email, it's super easy. Don't even have to touch my kindle, it's just waiting for me next time I open it.
A friend has the kindle paperwhite is similar sized screen and memory and price to the kobo libra 2. 190 euros-ish.

I sent some epubs to my friends kindle email address and it didn't work properly but I could view the same files on calibre on my laptop. Beyond that I didn't look into that feature much, but I believe Amazon decides which formats are supported/converted when you send the file via email.

The kobo natively views the epubs which is why drag and drop seemed ideal. No calibre or other software needed

I tried both in the shop for about 30 mins and the kindle has a more reflective screen. Apart from that and the physical page turn buttons they were more or less the same. Couldn't transfer books though as they were in demo mode. :D

Still 2 more hours to order it on Amazon to get it delivered tomorrow.....

rp2000

Last edited:
Commissario
I sent some epubs to my friends kindle email address and it didn't work properly but I could view the same files on calibre on my laptop. Beyond that I didn't look into that feature much, but I believe Amazon decides which formats are supported/converted when you send the file via email.
Unless he added your email to the list of approved senders, it won't be accepted.

kindle has a more reflective screen
Which model Kindle was that? I've had a few different models over the years and I've never had one I'd even consider to be slightly reflective.

Soldato
I've had my Paperweight for nearly 9 years now. Don't read it everyday, weekends and holidays but still going strong and still holds enough charge for a few weeks away. Backlight is perfect when I start to read very early but its equally easy to read in the sun. Page turn works well.
When I need to replace it it will be the same again.

Soldato
We have a Kindle PaperWhite for a few years personally I dislike the interface. Just seems slow and clunky. We have another older Kindle and that's even slower.

Have had Kobos and Sony eReaders in the past and liked them better. Might get another Kobo.

The Amazon bookstore is great. But the the whole library, collection thing is woeful.

Associate
Unless he added your email to the list of approved senders, it won't be accepted.

Which model Kindle was that? I've had a few different models over the years and I've never had one I'd even consider to be slightly reflective.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/sendtokindle is the fastest and best way really, email sometimes never arrived or took a while this is fast and has always worked for me.

Caporegime

I sent it to him and then he sent it to the email address on his account. The 1st time it took a long time and nothing arrived, the second time he said he got an error. I didn't really ask beyond that.

The Kindle I am looking at is "Kindle PaperWhite Signature Edition". The e-ink screen has a plastic layer over it to make the screen flush (like a tablet), and I think it's that part that reflects, not the actual e-ink. The Kobo Libra 2 I saw has no plastic layer over it so the actual e-ink part is slightly recessed from the frame but doesn't reflect as much. The cheapest Kindle with buttons is the Oasis and I don't actually know anyone with one to see it in person, plus it's 280 euros which is too pricey for me.

Edit: Anyway, missed delivery for tomorrow so now I have 18 more hours to decide to get delivery on Thursday.

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
We have a Kindle PaperWhite for a few years personally I dislike the interface. Just seems slow and clunky. We have another older Kindle and that's even slower.

Have had Kobos and Sony eReaders in the past and liked them better. Might get another Kobo.

The Amazon bookstore is great. But the the whole library, collection thing is woeful.
I had a sony one a long time ago, like over a decade I think. Loved it for about a year then got bored of it and/or reading :D

As tablets have been the big thing since then, I did find it really slow checking out the menus on both the kindle and kobo yesterday. In fairness the Kindle was slightly faster in the Menus/Settings then the Kobo but it was still slow by any phone/tablet standards and there wasn't much in it. But when the screens refresh that slowly you can easily see the difference in models side by side!

rp2000

Caporegime
Bought the kobo libra 2 in the end for 180 euros.

Quite impressed so far. Dragging and dropping content in explorer/finder is pretty handy as I use multiple computers and OSes.

Plan to start reading the 1st jack reacher book this week. I honestly think it's been multiple years since I read a whole book!

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom