Spec me a first time bike

Soldato
I recently moved house and commuting to work by bike would save me about 10-15 min each way and also a be a bit healthier, so considering that.

However, I haven't ridden a bike in about 20 years and I don't know if it's something I'll take to again, especially on a regular basis. I don't want to spend too much and then find an expensive piece of kit sits unused, so was thinking of getting something cheap. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't have a clue where to start. I was thinking about £150 budget wise, but not sure if that's sensible? Cheaper the better obviously. If it's something I find I like doing, can then upgrade.

Soldato
OP
Thanks both. In terms of distance - around 5 miles each way. Type of road - not sure since haven't done the route (currently do train/tube), but from google maps, looks like it'll be a combination of a main road, used mostly by cars I suspect, and a bit through parks, but that'll be pretty limited.

I spoke to a couple of people and my concern with second hand would be that if it needs work, it might well cost so much that I would have been better off spending that extra on a new one. Will take a look at the Carrera you mentioned.

Soldato
Pretty much the cheapest new bike I could reasonably suggest would be the Rockrider 340 from Decathlon at £160. It has front suspension which is probably a downside for your uses, but pretty much everything cheaper will have a heavy and uncomfortable hi-ten steel frame that it's best just not even considering. It's basic, but set up, used and maintained properly and there's no reason it couldn't serve you well. Definitely some scope for upgrading the tyres at least if you find you want better on-road performance.

Soldato
I have an old Carrera mountain bike you can have for nothing if you want it. Its too good to throw away but old enough it isn't worth anything. If you live in London, I'm at the end of the tube line. I can put up a photo if you are interested, otherwise no problem.

Soldato
OP
I have an old Carrera mountain bike you can have for nothing if you want it. Its too good to throw away but old enough it isn't worth anything. If you live in London, I'm at the end of the tube line. I can put up a photo if you are interested, otherwise no problem.

That's really kind! Sorry for the very long delay in getting back to you - been trying to set up the new house and stuff and discovering things about it, lol. Which tube line? Would love to take you up on the offer. What size is the frame? I tried out a bike in a shop and that was 18inches I believe, which is on the larger side for me, and potentially too large already (i'm a small guy, lol - 5'5).

Soldato
No problem, I work away from home during the week so I can only sort stuff out at the weekend (well Friday to Sunday). I'm on the metropolitan line. I will have a look at it this weekend for you.

Back
Top Bottom