Spec me... a headless linux minecraft server!

Associate
Hi

Going to be running a modded minecraft and file server from home (mad, I know).... I got this far with a basic build, only splurge is on 32gb of memory so it can run three instances at once. I have no idea if I've picked a sensible combination of parts... and not sure if I need a cooler too. I'll also likely add a second 1TB+ drive for the file share/backups and so on from home network.

I didn't have much to go on in choosing a processor, went on price and having four cores. Any thoughts/advice/specs much appreciated!

(and I now realise I haven't added a PSU, not sure what would work with small form case/mobo?)

thanks

s

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £318.52 (includes shipping: £11.70)

s

Soldato
A standard ATX PSU will fit fine.

I don't believe that board has an M.2 slot so your SSD might need rethinking.

Otherwise the setup looks fine - although someone else may come along with some better suggestions :)

Associate
I didn't have much to go on in choosing a processor, went on price and having four cores. Any thoughts/advice/specs much appreciated!

For running a single Minecraft server, single core clock speed is what matters most... anything more than dual core (to avoid system tasks locking up your server thread) isn't going to show much benefit, but a faster single-core clock will make a noticeable difference. That said, I don't think there's a CPU that will beat that one by much on single-core-clock anyway without spending at least double the money, so I think you've accidentally chosen correctly.

For multiple server instances, more cores are beneficial

And yeah, you're gonna need the M.2 slot so that motherboard isn't much use to you. Definitely stick with the NVMe SSD for faster server restarts and chunk loading etc

Associate
OP
Thanks for that - ideally will have multiple instances, so multiple cores, plus dynmap etc, so good to know I chose well, if accidentally. Yup, going for the next mobo up that will have M.2...

Associate
OP
OK, I got to the basket below. Does it look sensible? Wondering what wattage PSU I need, maybe 500w is overkill for this setup, could drop to 400 or 300w? I'm assuming the retail CPU has a stock cooler...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £417.54 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Many thanks for the help!

s

Associate
OP
Sanity check - that H310 board plus an I3 91200F will drive a display for initial install, won't it? The processor has no gfx, and I'm confused whether the mobo actually has gfx or just 'support for integrated graphics'...

s

Soldato
Sanity check - that H310 board plus an I3 91200F will drive a display for initial install, won't it? The processor has no gfx, and I'm confused whether the mobo actually has gfx or just 'support for integrated graphics'...

s
Motherboards generally don't have graphics these days. You'll need a graphics card.

Associate
OP
I might have to rethink this!

So is there a basic motherboard with gfx? Or, a cheap low-power gfx card that would do the job?

Sorry about all the questions!

Soldato
Any old graphics card will do for an output while you set up the machine. You could use one from another PC and then set up remote access/SSH on the headless server.

You could also buy something cheap and second hand like a GT 210/310/710 as it's not doing any real graphics work.

I don't think you'll find a motherboard with integrated graphics at all.

No such thing as a stupid question, some people on here love giving advice :p

Back
Top Bottom