Spec me a hotel on Orkney

Soldato
My mother wants to go to Orkney for a few days, probably late September. So we need a hotel. 4 star or 5 star in case of bad weather, able to accept arrivals after midnight (the ferry gets in at 23:00), and with good views (she's an artist). She is of limited mobility, and uses a walking frame for all but the shortest walks. Parking. A decent restaurant on-site or very nearby, just in case it's belting down.

Any suggestions?

L_D

L_D

Associate
I stayed at the hotel below a few years back:

Hotel name: Merkister Hotel
Hotel address: Harray Loch, Harray, KW17 2LF, Orkney

Nice views of the loch - also good if you like trout fishing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My mother has heard about the cruise ships flooding Orkney with tourists and doesn't want to go in October or later, so we'll be going next year.

Soldato
I stayed in the Kirkwall Hotel for work a few years back.

A pleasant stay, I said that while it's nice it's a little bit too "old timey" for me, so it might be perfect!

Rooms were nice, my room had a nice view of the harbour and and in pretty central Kirkwall so close to amenities etc.

Screenshot-2023-08-17-204603.png

Associate
My mother wants to go to Orkney for a few days, probably late September. So we need a hotel. 4 star or 5 star in case of bad weather, able to accept arrivals after midnight (the ferry gets in at 23:00), and with good views (she's an artist). She is of limited mobility, and uses a walking frame for all but the shortest walks. Parking. A decent restaurant on-site or very nearby, just in case it's belting down.

Any suggestions?
How did you get on visiting Orkney? I hope your mother enjoyed her stay?

Soldato
OP
Ah, sorry, I never saw that!

We were put off by the worsening weather and the cruise ship situation. We may still be. My mother is not going to like competing against the 2000 passengers from the Aidasol on 16th May let alone the 4000 from the Regal Princess on the 28th April and 10th May. And I have to consider my trip to America.

As a local I can give you some information. Have she booked anything yet?

No, nothing is booked. We have yet to tie down the dates, but are looking at late April or the start of May. Basically we want to visit in term-time, when there are fewer people, and when the weather is improving, but before the midges get too active.

Associate
We were put off by the worsening weather and the cruise ship situation. We may still be. My mother is not going to like competing against the 2000 passengers from the Aidasol on 16th May let alone the 4000 from the Regal Princess on the 28th April and 10th May. And I have to consider my trip to America.

No, nothing is booked. We have yet to tie down the dates, but are looking at late April or the start of May. Basically we want to visit in term-time, when there are fewer people, and when the weather is improving, but before the midges get too active.
Midges wont be a concern at that time of year, so that's something. You won't be compteting with the Cruise passengers for Hotel rooms, if that was a concern as they are day trippers. You can mitigate most of them by either going early in the morning to the tourist spots or later in the afternoon/early evening. The Kirkwall Hotel is central and you will have access to a lot of restraunts nearby. I'd recommend looking at the Storehouse and 21 for food.

Soldato
OP
The issue with cruise line passengers is access to sites. She's 88 and isn't physically able to spend long times waiting for things like the Italian Chapel, for example.

Associate
The issue with cruise line passengers is access to sites. She's 88 and isn't physically able to spend long times waiting for things like the Italian Chapel, for example.
Yeh I can see that indeed. Hopefully you make it as I think your mother would really enjoy it. The Italian Chapel and Skara Brae are worth it alone.

Back
Top Bottom