Spec me a HTPC

Associate
Hey all,

Looking to build a HTPC , Only need it for media streaming , Playing 4K HDR Content , Would need to be small but have enough space for some hard drives as i have a lot of digital media ( Blu-Ray and 4K) i want to more across from my main pc.

Thanks

Permabanned
HDR and Windows is far from ready, unless you like constant issues I would just avoid it and use your smart TV's built in apps and video player.

I disabled the deep color mode on my LG B6, makes everything look weird, pink hue to everything.

On some displays you can fix it by toggling through the HDR presents, you might get lucky but don't count on it.

Associate
I was going to recommend a NUC until you said space for HDDs.

The Apollo/Gemini Lake NUCs can do 10bit HEVC at 4K hardware accelerated with refresh rate switching if you install Libreelec instead of windows.

It's around £200 for a 4x Core Celeron J3455 NUC with 2x2GB of DDR3-L (needs dual channel to unlock full potential), 120GB SSD for OS and Fire TV Bluetooth remote. Bang Librelec on and you have a pretty powerful machine.

You could always build an ITX machine with the new Ryzen APUs, R3 2200G/R5 2400G or if it has to be Intel get a Coffee Lake Celeron or Pentium with an Nvidia GT1030.

I love Libreelec, I can watch/record live tv, my own ripped 1080P and 4K HDR files, Twitch streaming and Youtube all from one box.

Back
Top Bottom