Spec me a hybrid bike?

Soldato
OP
You really have to decide what you want the bike for. For the majority of forest and coastal cycle paths a hybrid with 32c wheels and disk brakes would be ok, just don’t expect too much if you need to hop off ledges or tackle a tree stump. If you’re talking proper off road trails then it might not be so good. The issue with a mountain bike comes if you want to go on road. Sure, it’ll be better than a road bike would be on an off road trail (as in possible to ride it), but it’ll be dog slow and it’ll handle terribly. This would be bad if you wanted to go to a rural pub following the road or pop to the shops or even commute.

If you buy a bike without figuring out where you enjoy riding, then you’ll probably see it gathering dust in the shed rather than being ridden.

I think you're right, all I do know is I have no intention of using it on a road as such although most of the path I use daily is tarmac.
I'm unlikely to use it for "proper" mountain biking any times soon ie big jumps etc. (unless I get the hang of it quickly!) but I guess a lot of it will be through woodland paths etc.

Looking at what SexyGreyFox has it looks very similar to the Trek Marlin 4 Gen 2 and that's only around £500, maybe that's worth me looking at as a starter until I know what I actually want.

Soldato
@Jase - if you’re on paved paths most of the time then front suspension is a waste of time IMO. A hard tail mountain bike isn’t a bad all rounder if you’re doing a decent amount of dirt cycle tracks as well though. Anything going second hand near you? Might be a good way to minimise outlay while you’re figuring things out.

Good luck with the search! Cycling is great in whatever form you do it.

Soldato
What about a gravel bike?

Though if you want to do similar to delmare trails etc, and that's your main use a mountain bike will provide the best use. Unfortunately there isnt really a happy medium.

I'd use my gravel on some trail centres, but it'd be more for the challenge than anything.

A decent rigid mountain bike would also be good all round bike, but obviously not as 'fun' or as comfy as a fairly decent mtb.
This, a much better all rounder.

Man of Honour
I think you're right, all I do know is I have no intention of using it on a road as such although most of the path I use daily is tarmac.
I'm unlikely to use it for "proper" mountain biking any times soon ie big jumps etc. (unless I get the hang of it quickly!) but I guess a lot of it will be through woodland paths etc.

Looking at what SexyGreyFox has it looks very similar to the Trek Marlin 4 Gen 2 and that's only around £500, maybe that's worth me looking at as a starter until I know what I actually want.

I'm still FUMING about the advice I had for my very first bike in 2010.
I went to 3 'Professional' bike shops and asked questions on 3 well known Forums including this one.
I basically asked:
I will be riding this every day no matter what the weather, even if it's 6" of snow I'll be on it to get me to work and back.
My commute is on various surfaces such as about 80% roads, 10% rough surfaces and 10% very rough.

In all cases all the people heard was 80% roads and they gave advice on what bike to have.
Within a week of buying my Forme Longcliffe v3 road bike I knew I had been given the worst advice ever and there was no taking it back.
A month later I had a bad accident and knew I couldn't go out on it again in the cold weather so I went back to the shop to buy a suitable bike.
The 'Expert' saw my arm in a sling, asked questions and then said "Why did you go out in this weather on it?" err because I told you I would be riding it every day no matter what the conditions.
I immediately went to Halfords, bought a Carrera Subway and was 100% happy with it in every weather that could be thrown at me and I never rode that road bike again.

I was asked what the difference was and the only thing I could come up with was:
A road bike is like walking on a 1" wide tightrope with no balancing bar, the Hybrid is like walking on a 2" tightrope with a balancing bar.
A couple of years later an MTB is like walking on a 2" tightrope with a balancing bar and a safety net.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In all cases all the people heard was 80% roads and they gave advice on what bike to have.

Roadbikes feel sketchy as hell on anything but a flat smooth surface...

I remember riding on paths commuters would likely use such as this one, where the pavement is proper paved tiles

You better prey to the gods as you are weaving around joggers, dog walkers etc that the skinny back wheel doesn't push against an uplifted tile.
Because if it does your probably flying off that bike when the front end goes sideways but the rear end refuses.

going up kerbs at to shallow an angle etc is the same... the backheel just wants to slide across the raised edge and your flying off.
even if you have 34mm wide tyres they still feel super scary in the above situations.

HbbPaOd.jpg

No one will warn you its a thing either :p

Road bikes are more likely to get punctures as well or buckled wheels

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You better prey to the gods as you are weaving around joggers, dog walkers etc that the skinny back wheel doesn't push against an uplifted tile.
Because if it does your probably flying off that bike when the front end goes sideways but the rear end refuses.

Even my Hybrid with 32mm tyres has these problems, the slightest height difference between surfaces can cause a wobble.
My MTB is like. Bourbon biscuit.

Soldato
OP
When I was on my walk today I took some photos of the path/trial I would use. To be it seems much more mountain bike, the photos don't really get it across but some parts are really steep and slippery.

I only saw one person on a hybrid and she started to slide back down the hill she was trying to get up.

What do you think based on below ?

iYCU0ew.jpg
qVsYIIo.jpg
agtO7bH.jpg

9reqj1K.jpg
hT1wIaJ.jpg

yPaOYCB.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm now thinking of the following as reading their site it also says its good for non-mountain biking :

Is there much difference between the the 2 above and is the price difference worth it?

Associate
When I was on my walk today I took some photos of the path/trial I would use. To be it seems much more mountain bike, the photos don't really get it across but some parts are really steep and slippery.

I only saw one person on a hybrid and she started to slide back down the hill she was trying to get up.

What do you think based on below ?

(Snip)

I would ride that on my current bike which is an old style mtb without suspension (Carrera axel Ltd). Gravel bike would also be possible, but likely to need more focus and bike skills. If you are not experienced, then the MTB would be best. Not sure suspension is required. I have only used cheap hire bikes with front suspension and hated them, but it’s probably not representative of a good bike. Regardless suspension will add weight and complexity, so worth thinking about how much you need it.

Soldato
I would ride that on my current bike which is an old style mtb without suspension (Carrera axel Ltd). Gravel bike would also be possible, but likely to need more focus and bike skills. If you are not experienced, then the MTB would be best. Not sure suspension is required. I have only used cheap hire bikes with front suspension and hated them, but it’s probably not representative of a good bike. Regardless suspension will add weight and complexity, so worth thinking about how much you need it.

Agreed, i'd be happy on that with a gravel bike, although i think a hybrid/non suspension mtb would be the best.

There's nothing that looks like it needs suspension, just some decent tyres for grip. Would likely be better geared than a Hardtail mtb too. The Sirrus X initialy suggested would be perfect.

The Marlins do look great if you ever wanted to do something more lumpy and i think the main difference between the Marlin 6 and 8 is the dropped post, other than the other upgrades in groupset.

For me though i think the Hybrid would cope with those trails easy enough whilst also being better for road use.

Last edited:
Soldato
To me the paths in those photos look too rocky for a hybrid IMO. Better with a front suspension mountain bike. Especially if it's wet/muddy or frosty in the winter.

As others have said in my experience most 700c hybrids aren't really suitable for anything other than tarmac roads.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom