Spec me a living room (google sketchup thread)

Associate
I'm looking to kit out my living with a big LCD TV and sound system but really don't know where I should place things or what to get because I'm weak and can't make decisions for myself.

Also the 3-piece suite is too big for the room and needs either replacing or at least getting rid of a chair or a sofa, but I'm having trouble deciding what is best. It's really a bachelor pad at present so I don't need all this seating.

Anyone help me out?

Here's a crappy picture before I moved in on my camera phone, just to show the shabby 3-piece suite and get a feel for the room really. All the pictures and table have gone now.

Photo-0015.jpg

Here's how I was planning on having the room. Thing is I'm not really happy with it and don't particularly know how I want it. I do know that I don't like the 3-piece suite and I need the big screen fairly close to my PC desk for tv-out. Anything else is fair game.

livingroom2.PNG

Budget is around £2000 ideally but of course can go higher. £1000 of that will probably go on the screen though. Advice on what to do with seating and what sound system to get and where to put things would be much appreciated. I'm really clueless when it comes to this stuff, the flat was furnished when I arrived so just haven't bothered to change anything since I moved in.

Google sketchup files here in case anyone can bothered to tinker:
livingroom.skp
livingroom.skb

I know this is pretty open ended but I'd like a good room for watching TV, movies and playing games and any tips are gratefully accepted.

Soldato
From first glances, you will probably want the desk and a chair next to each other on the right hand wall and the sofa opposite the tv on the bottom wall. Otherwise how would you be able to watch tv with someone else! Plus having the desk next to the tv will look a bit crap.

*edit*

A bit like this:

livingroomfs9.jpg

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I would put the desk where you have drawn the sofa, put the sofa where the desk is and have the TV on the wall opposite.

Its the best compromise for guest seating, TV viewing and sound quality in the room.

Associate
OP
Bunka said:

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Set it up exactly as in Bunka's pic and I like it this way. Just need a hifi now that I can hook up to my TV and PC. Not sure whether to try and squeeze in some floorstanders or mount some speakers on the wall.

Delegating decision making powers is addictive!

Back
Top Bottom