Spec me a MB for a i7-8700K CPU

Associate
I have a 8700K for video editing/encoding and need a motherboard for a new build.
My current MB is an Asrock Z68 Extreme7 and can't fault it, so I think I would go Asrock again but don't know what one.

Any advice on motherboards please and thanks in advance.

Soldato
If your going ASRock, Taichi

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-15r-ak.html

Higher VRM count to better handle heatload and power when encoding .

If you look at leaked gigabyte and ASRock H370 boards which is meant to be lower their products, they have the same if not more VRM count then lower and middle ranged z370 boards.
Z370 chip/boards weren't the best produced with z390 correcting it .

Dig deep, get the Taichi

Associate
OP
If your going ASRock, Taichi

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-15r-ak.html

Higher VRM count to better handle heatload and power when encoding .

If you look at leaked gigabyte and ASRock H370 boards which is meant to be lower their products, they have the same if not more VRM count then lower and middle ranged z370 boards.
Z370 chip/boards weren't the best produced with z390 correcting it .

Dig deep, get the Taichi

:) Thanks orbitalwalsh, well, if its a better board, i don't mind going that bit extra.

Man of Honour
If you're not going for ultra oc-ing with LN2 etc. A solid mid range board is sufficient.
For overclocking it's more of the #siliconlottery that matters anyway
Might as well spend the £60-ish (extreme4 Vs taichi) on components that matter eg GPU, monitor, or a night at the pub with your mates.

Soldato
Thanks tamzzy, good point.

Reason why I stayed the Taichi is if your doing some serious encoding . VRMs will be pushed hard ! The more you have, the more the load is spread is a basic sense. If you can't afford it then Extreme 4 should do next best. Normally quote Gigabyte or Strix, but Gigabytes corrected board won't be out yet so Taichi would be the one I would use for 4K encoding .

That or save yourself cash and slap in ryzen 1700 and x370 board again for the VRM count and save a lot of pennies and have increased thread performance :D

Man of Honour
Just picking up on above, is there an issue with the current range of Gigabyte z370? I've not been following latest news on motherboards so likely that i've missed something.
Vrm cooling isn't that great, so it'll hit 100c and so not great for sustained CPU loads.
Can be easily fixed, however, with change of yhermal pads and tightening the vrm heatsinks down. But if that's done Im bit quite sure if it'll void the warranty

Soldato
Vrm cooling isn't that great, so it'll hit 100c and so not great for sustained CPU loads.
Can be easily fixed, however, with change of yhermal pads and tightening the vrm heatsinks down. But if that's done Im bit quite sure if it'll void the warranty

Ok cheers for info, after I first posted I did read something about this on another site also.

Soldato
Gaming will never hit above 80c , AVX loads it will soar ! Other boards will to but not as much, Ultra 2.0 solves this by having same VR. Set up as flagship boards .
Z390 boards correct the whole issue , you'll see H370 boards have same VRM count as their z370 counterparts :)

Back
Top Bottom