Spec me a microwave oven

Soldato
We very rarely use the microwave, it's mostly used as a cat proof box when defrosting stuff but it's on it's way out. I can't grumble, it's about 15 years old.

My biggest grumble with the current one is that when it's finished it'll beep. It'll then beep again every minute until ther door is opened. I find that a real pain in the backside so I'd like recommendations for a microwave oven that doesn't do that. I know a unit with a rotary dial would most likely not do it, but that'd look out of place in our kitchen.

Why is the beeping a problem? Yesterday I cooked a piece of frozen coley for the cat but I want to cook it then leave it to cool down in the microwave. After I put it on to cook I answered the phone and the range on my bluetooth headset isn't long enough to let me cancel the beeping without losing the connection to my phone.

So then, recommendations please. I don't think we need anything too special, I don't need a grill and amd not looking to spend more than a couple of hundred quid at the most.

Soldato
OP
I was hoping Samsung wouldn't be recommended as we've had a torrid time wth Samsung stuff breaking but a microwave is likely to be a low value item so I'd take a punt. Thanks!

Soldato
My old panasonic one lasted 15 years, the one after that, about 4 years. Plastic clip in the door mechanism broke and I couldnt fix it.

We've got one from the in laws they didnt want anymore as they used it in the old static caravan before getting the new one which has one in built. Its a rndom brand but works.

Most important part for a microwave for me is that is only has two functions, power and time, ideally 2 separate knobs, one for each.

I cannot stand microwaves that are programmable or have buttons, they frustrait the living **** out of me, and even if you can be bothered to figure out how to program them, it never defrosts/cooks anything better than I am able to judge myself using jus the power and time knobs.

Soldato
OP
I would have a look at the online manual for any that you are thinking of buying and see if they offer this mode.

Great idea, I'll do that.

I started by looking at Panasonic, however:

Can I turn off the beeping sound of the microwave?

The beeping sound cannot be deactivated on any of our microwave ovens.

I'll check some others. The beeping is a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom