Spec me a modular PSU

Associate
I am currently running the spec in my sig with a Akasa 480W PaxPower, I knew this had a weak 12v rail but it seemed OK for around £50.

Since getting close to 3Ghz I sometimes get messages that the graphics card is not getting enough power, the problem is that I am getting this in windows not when gaming :eek:

I'd go with Tagan or Enermax - I'm a particular fan of Tagan as they always seem completely solid and well built. Hipers have a habit of being noisy and underperforming

Tagan are great PSUs, the Hyper looks nice when you see the little pic, but not many people seem to like them and I have heard many a bad thing regarding them.

kinetic747 said:
Feelings are mixed around here but I can't fault mine. It's powerful, stable and extremely quiet. :cool:

Hiper 580W: 30A/360W at 12v isn't considered that powerful anymore tbh.

The modular SilverStone Strider ST60F has 42A/504W at 12v, £90. Worth the extra IMO.

Last edited:
My personal favourite has been my Ultra X-Connect.

Its been perfect for me, and its the first true PSU that I bought, thats really shown me the importance of a good PSU... Before that, I was perfectly happy with QTECs even though they are hated by so many... I see why now though!

The next down the list has been my hyper.

I have got to say though, that although I do like the hyper a lot... Its hot... Not just hot, but even when unloaded the heat being blown out the back of it is scary.... So much so, that I took the original 120mm out of it, and its now got a 120mm delta instead, and guess what? - even with 156CFM being blown through it, the air is still warm, so that says how hot it gets.

The Ultra X, is stone cold even when I used it to drive my SCSI Tower ( 2x18GB RAID as C: and 4x36 0+1 Raid and 1x76 + 2xDVDRW ) it stayed flawless and stone cold throughout, so on that note, I would put the Ultra before the hyper.

However, the major drawback with the ultra, is that the cables supplied are like iron bars, and not at all any good for if you are the type who likes to fold the cables around the components to keep things tidy. The cables are just bloody awful.

I am wantign to swap the Ultra, which is currently in my NEO2 PC with my OCZ PSU ( Non-modular that one ) but it was such a job to get the PSU into it in the first place, I dont want to have the same hassles when I move it to another PC.

If the Hypers are normally cooler than mine, then I would go for the hyper, but if they are all as hot as mine, then I would go for the Ultra-X Connect.

Dunno though... Maybe the heat from the hyper will soften the cables from the ultra enough to let me bend them ? :D

FatRakoon said:
I have got to say though, that although I do like the hyper a lot... Its hot... Not just hot, but even when unloaded the heat being blown out the back of it is scary.... So much so, that I took the original 120mm out of it, and its now got a 120mm delta instead, and guess what? - even with 156CFM being blown through it, the air is still warm, so that says how hot it gets.....

.....If the Hypers are normally cooler than mine, then I would go for the hyper, but if they are all as hot as mine, then

Mine runs very warm too. It would tend to suggest that the heatsinks are either overloaded or extremely efficient.

FatRakoon said:
However, the major drawback with the ultra, is that the cables supplied are like iron bars, and not at all any good for if you are the type who likes to fold the cables around the components to keep things tidy. The cables are just bloody awful.

Stiff cabling is a sign of high quality cores.

WJA96 said:
Mine runs very warm too. It would tend to suggest that the heatsinks are either overloaded or extremely efficient.

Hopefully the latter.

Its warm even when unloaded, so that would be my hope.

WJA96 said:
Stiff cabling is a sign of high quality cores.

True, or rather thin cables are the sign of naff kit, but these are not stiff...
Calling these cables stiff is like going to the south pole and whinging cos its a tad nippy... These things are so hard they offered me out!

Back
Top Bottom