Spec Me A Monitor

Soldato
Ok so my cousin is buying her son a new monitor but has no clue what to buy him, For some context his rig consists of a 7700K, 1080 founders edition *non Ti*, 16GB memory.

He spent about a year and a half saving up for all of his stuff and as he's only 16 that's quite the feat, He had jobs everywhere, Cleaning, Doing gardening, Delivery jobs etc...a real trooper.

Anyway, At the end of it he was only left over with about enough to afford a really low end crappy 1080P panel, I advised against buying it so he has all of his gear but no display, Currently playing on an old HDTV.

So, Me and my cousin have been discussing which monitor to get him, Money isn't really an issue as it's not like we're going to pick out a Dell 8K
happy.png

He plays A LOT of twitch shooters but also loves his RPG's like The Witcher 3 etc....

I was thinking of advising her to go for the Asus PG279Q 1440P 165Hz G-Sync IPS but as I and many people I know have had really bad luck with Asus panels in the past I wouldn't want to see him having all these problems too with the annoyance of dealing with Asus CS etc...unless of course if that situation has changed and Asus' quality control has gotten better ?

Can anyone recommend a good solid panel, Preferably 1440P 144Hz+ that has a vendor with a good reputation and quality control ?

Soldato
You could get the AOC version. But what I would suggest is that whatever you get him, the monitor is delivered to you first so that you can check it over.

Associate
Maybe worth checking out the Dell S2716DG, a TN panel but a great one by all accounts and you are much less likely to have to deal with quality control issues..

Soldato
OP
Well we ended up going with the Asus PG279Q and really wish she had chosen something else.

Like all Asus monitors I've had experiences this with, This one came with a fault, The DP port has a fault so you need to hold the cable at a certain way or there is no signal.

Seriously, Asus sort yourselves out, It's not funny anymore.

Glad this isn't my money otherwise I'd be more than annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom