Soldato
Looking to downsize from my current Audi A4 2.0 TDi to something a bit smaller, cheaper and economical.

I'm open to all suggestions and input.

My criteria is as follows:
  • £3,500 budget
  • 4/5 door
  • Diesel
  • 1.8L or smaller
  • Economical/reliable
So far i've been looking at the following vehicles:
  • Mazda 3 - 1.6
  • Seat Leon - 1.6
  • Seat Ibiza - 1.6
  • Vauxhall Astra - 1.7
  • Volvo S40 - 1.6
Would appreciate advice or recommendations, thanks!

Caporegime
As above. My 2.0 TDi A4 would net me around 55mpg on a B road commute and anywhere up to 70+mpg on a long motorway jaunt.

Not sure there are many (any?) efficiency savings to be had, without resorting to something tiny, uncomfortable and noisy. And if you’re doing the mileage whereby getting an additional 5mpg is important, you wouldn’t want to be doing that in a tiny tin-can anyway.

Perhaps look to drive in a different manner instead?

Soldato
... you probably need to reveal more about the relaibility/age/mileage-type of your current A4 to make an ecconomic comparison.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Are you just itching for a change? As above, there is nothing out there that will be appreciably 'better'/more economical than what you currently have.

Associate
As said already, you don't really gain anything by switching to any of those. Strike the Volvo off that list though, the 1.6D is a Peugeot lump and it's crap.

What's the age and mileage on your A4? Anything wrong with it or just want a change?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
More economical than a 2.0 diesel A4 is asking for a lot. You will literally have to go to the only "tier" of vehicle which will beat your existing car which is the very small diesel supermini market.

We are talking cars such as a Polo Bluemotion diesel, etc.

Man of Honour
Bear in mind the 1.6 in the Leon is probably no more efficient than the A4 at motorway speeds, it's only really effective in a very narrow band up to about 60mph but has to struggle a bit more at the top end. My wife used to have one and the only time it ever gave over 60mpg average was doing a long A-road trip around 60mph, long motorway journeys would be more like 52-55mpg. Officially it was supposed to do something ludicrous like 73mpg combined which was absolute fiction.

Soldato
OP
If your doing enough miles to warrant a diesel, stick with the A4 I imagine its a nicer place to motorway cruise than any of those listed.

Doing about 25 a day to work and back, leaving work a lot of it is sitting in traffic.

... you probably need to reveal more about the relaibility/age/mileage-type of your current A4 to make an ecconomic comparison.

It's a 2005 Audi A4 2.0 Diesel, just over 84K on the clock. Would have thought some newer motors would be even more economical?

It's got a 70 litre fuel tank which costs a fair bit to brim, £200 a year tax too.

Judging by the replies in this thread it might be worth keeping, one reason I want rid is that there's some rust that's creeping up on the side of front wheel arches.

Caporegime
Doing about 25 a day to work and back, leaving work a lot of it is sitting in traffic.

In which case, no internal combustion engines are going to be great at this. A PHEV or electric car would be good, but massively over your budget.

Given this, I’d rather sit in the comparative comfort of your A4 rather than a smaller car.

Soldato
OP
O.K point taken, i'll be keeping the A4 for the foreseeable future.

Would anyone be able to give me a rough cost for the following:

1) Rear wheel bearing replacement.
I'm getting a low-pitched hum when going 50MPH + from one of the rear wheels. I assume it's the bearing as it's consistant with speed and not which gear i'm in or if i'm going up/down hills.

2) Cam belt change.
Self explanatory, i'm assuming around £300?

Soldato
O.K point taken, i'll be keeping the A4 for the foreseeable future.

Would anyone be able to give me a rough cost for the following:

1) Rear wheel bearing replacement.
I'm getting a low-pitched hum when going 50MPH + from one of the rear wheels. I assume it's the bearing as it's consistant with speed and not which gear i'm in or if i'm going up/down hills.

2) Cam belt change.
Self explanatory, i'm assuming around £300?

From my parent's 2007 A4 TDi when they had it, rear wheel bearing will be ~£90 plus labour.

Cambelt with fitting is closer to £500.

Edit: I did these jobs for them, so it was part cost only. I'm estimating labour costs.

Back
Top Bottom