spec me a mountain bike please

Soldato
cheers guys ill make sure to get a 1x10 drive train. im still not sure what size of frame i should get would a medium be fine for me? 5"11 around (11,1/2) 12 stone.

yes gambisk i will do, would be good to be showing the ropes by someone that knows what they are doing, although not to sure when i will be getting the bike as i have to pay off me and the girlfriends holiday to Florida first. hoping i can work out a cycle to work scheme so that i can get it a bit sooner or even if a good second hand one pops up

frame size (basically) comes down to inner leg, if you're 5'11" and average among 5'11" people, you'll be a large. im 5'9" with 32" inner leg and depending on different bikes that puts me at a mtb frame size between 17" - 19". but i have pretty long monkey arms so need lots of stem length, also have long femur leg bones so need lots of seatpost setback.

Soldato
Saying bike size has all to do with inner leg - LOL!!!

So, reach, VTT, Standover all get brushed over, only the length of the seattube matters eh? And what about the advent of dropper posts, does that have an effect on your estimation of inner leg-only judgement of sizing?

Long stem to counter the effect of the cramped reach / VTT... are you stuck in the 90s?

OP: Dunker has some modicum of merit in what he says.

He's talking from a pure XC perspective (even though most of the top XC racers also now use 1x drivetrains... and he also brushed past the fact that 1x gearing can get you close to the ratios a granny ring can. You get 32t front ring w 44t rear... see how that spins), where the rest5 of us in this thread is coming from a "do everything" perspective. Where both types of bikes we're recommending "will do everything"...We're recommending a bike that's a great allrounder, whereas Dunker's recommending a bike that's very much focussed on doing a lot of miles / not particularly good at descending / jumps / mucking about.

This is why I asked first, what kind of terrain you;re intending to ride most often.

Caporegime
As SC has said, also doing 40mph on a mtb under human power uphill? Not happening by me at any point. 1x10 is more than enough for the average biker.

I tried using a 2x10 on a demo bike recently, and it was just irritating having to choose the right gear etc. 1x10 is so much simpler and although at times I could do with more than 32x11 the benefits more than out weigh this. Also that's due to me not holding enough momentum in the trail previous.

Soldato
40mph and still pedaling? What sort of trials are you riding?! lol.

Got 2x10 on my current bike but next time around I'll go single chainring, So rare that I'm going anywhere near the top end of my gearing plus when I'm at that sort of speed I'll generally be freewheeling downhill.

Associate
OP
just took a lend of my cousins bike and done about 20 miles on it today his front fork seals are away so i had to lockout the suspension, man that was a rough ride near went over the bars a couple times lol the sooner i get my own bike the better.

Soldato
was coming down st cathrines down with a super tailwind and my leg speed must have looked comical hehe. i ride a lot of roads aswell, why a single ring woud'nt be that great for me i imagine.

40mph uphill? umm nope lol

but even the trails i have here on iow, i do like to sometimes stick it on the 44 ring and pedal out the saddle for a bit. OP did say nothing too extreme.

Caporegime
If I've read it right, the yellow comes with full SLX kit, and a dropper. Bargain. Much better than the blue, that it's a total no brainer.

Infact the blue comes with 26" wheels, good bye geo. You'd need a new set of wheels for the blue, or new rims and a rebuild.

Associate
OP
Cheers lads ill give him a message to see if we can make a deal. Just one more thing I can't seem to find the slx build on the bird website can some post a link to it please

Caporegime
They don't do the same bike anymore the closest being the Zero 2, but with (IMO) better wheels. Then with a dropper and a better fork.

Associate
Defo the yellow one. The seller may have had the drive train from another frame just bought the frame from bird. But the SLX stuff should be mega reliable, it has a great fork and a dropper is a great bonus at that price. Nothing to be worried about at all.

Associate
Ideal for them, probably. You might look at going 1x10 later on but no rush for that. Having the extra will give you some easier times uphill while you get into it.

Caporegime
2x10 is fine, only £30ish for a single ring anyway if you want to go 1x10 (you should).

Check it has the clutch mech at the rear, it will.

Associate
OP
Yeah it does have a clutch good to know I can change the front ring to make it 1x10. Just hopefully I get the bike now the guy might not be able to post it because he had a bad injury and can't walk

Soldato
You can change the front, but keep in mind that you may need / want to change the cassette too. The advantage of the large ratio cassettes, is that you can achieve near granny ring spin-ability with these new dish-plate sized cassettes

Back
Top Bottom