Spec me a NAS..

Soldato
Thanks, so I would then treat it much as I do today with multiple internal and eternal volumes.. which at least I know how to handle ;)

with this approach would I see, on the network, 4 separate 2TB volumes in the Server or 1 virtual 8TB volume, running WHS? As I can quite easily have overflow from a media folder which would use multiple volumes, but would rather just link to a single location in XBMC/DLNA etc

cheers

Effectively in it's simplest form, yes, it would all appear as seperate drives on the network.

Most media apps allow aggregation form various sources, but it is a potential downside if you use it in this simple manner..

However, all is not lost, I'm just finishing a small program that will allow basic aggregation using a simple technique..

Basically I just create a network share where I want the aggregated view to be, then the program takes a number of source folders and using what are effectively symlinks to aggregate everything into this one Network share.

I sync the symlinks such that if you rename one, it will rename the source file/folder, and vice versa.. same goes for deleting..

I couldn't find anything remotely close to offering this simple functionality so decided to do my own (OK, maybe it's not so hard if you are a Software Engineer!)

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, Neil. Raid 5 it is then.

No issues with adding additional drives at later date or swapping a drive out I assume?

shouldnt be no.

for the record as mentioned above never let windows manage raid.

but there shouldnt be any reason why your motherboard RAID controller (most have them these days) cant be used.

Soldato
shouldnt be no.

for the record as mentioned above never let windows manage raid.

but there shouldnt be any reason why your motherboard RAID controller (most have them these days) cant be used.

The on-board RAID is just cheap 'Fake RAID', no ability to grow volumes etc AFAIK, the only way I could do this was using the FreeNAS/CENTOS/UNraid software solutions..

Associate
OP
Finally I have the N36L setup and I have had a play with it. Worth mentioning that the 1gb RAM it comes with is not enough for WHS2011, so I put a 4gb stick in it.. tossed out the standard 256k HDD as well as its a bit of waste of space.

I went without RAID, for simplicity, and will back up essential data to one of the MyBooks.

No issues installing utorrent, but I installed Twonky for DLNA purposes and it seems a bit temperamental. After a restart it fails to run, but I can access it via a browser and got it working. Not very happy with the folder structuring as it seems to put all my video files in the same folder (Kids cartoons mixed with action movies, not a good combination). But I will try the advanced view and see if it helps.

Logging in via remote access on the desktop was very easy, and I installed WHS Dashboard on the desktop.. but what I think I am missing is WHS Console, as I want to try the Serviio add-in.. but no idea where to find the Console.. doh!

is this something I need to install on the server, or the desktop.. where can I find it? plenty of reference to it online but I can not see any link to source.. Is it already installed as part of WHS I am just too noob to find it?

cheers

edit : I guess its this one :) http://www.home-server-addins.com/downloads

Last edited:
Soldato
hat you need to be careful of is that there are a lot of Addins for WHS however a lot of programs don't have any Add ins for WHS2011.

For Serviio you need to download the Windows 7 application and install it on the server :)

If you're looking at streaming software might i also suggest Mezzmo as an option.

Associate
OP
quick update from a media standpoint..

Mezzmo is working the best out of 3 DLNA clients I tried, runs very well, updates seamlessly and you can retain folder structures. Its not free, but I dont mind that if it works properly.

Dont migrate your active music directory to the server, iTunes throws a fit and can not access data on the network.. just back it up on the server.

WD MyBook drive has been stripped out of the housing per guide on youtube and works perfectly in the Server after a format :)

So, now I have an additional 8TB storage which is more than enough for now, and have it setup to backup my other 3 PCs (wake from sleep for backup) without RAID. I will use an external 1TB to backup the servers critical content to.

I didnt migrate my torrent folder yet, but thats the next job.. utorrent seems to be working happily on the server though.

So thanks for all your help guys, if anyone wants to try the same I am happy to advise.

andy

Associate
OP
going to necro this old thread (apologies! :p)

Phil - I have just got myself all the bits needed to fit a 5th HDD (3tb) into the ODD bay. From looking at the guide you linked to, it mentioned you needed to flash the bios for this. Did you do so? Any issues?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks for the fast reply Phil!

I had an ODD already installed so it was just a matter of sliding the top off and swapping with the new HDD bay.. 5 minute job and no cables needed, then formating and voila!

I havent done the Bios yet but it appears to be working fine without, although I am probably not getting the best speed out of it. But I need to build myself up to that job :)

11TB now. :D

Associate
Yeah I think the bios was for full speed on that particular sata slot. I cant really remember much about what the bios did though as it was a while ago I flashed it and I haven't touched my NAS since it was built. It just sits there doing its thing with no intervention from myself.

Soldato
. Star tech 5.25in Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack for 3.5in Hard Drive - this will allow for the fifth hard drive to be added in the cdrom drive slot. Below is what it looks like. I will trust you a link to where you can buy this for £14.

You don't need anything as fancy as that. A 3.5" to 5.25" Hard Disk Drive Mounting Bracket Adapter for £1.59 from the auction site will do the job ;)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tip Jelly,
I got a Fujitech i-rack, which is basically the same as the Startech. It was about 15 quid, but then again I am limited as to what I can find locally and this was in a shop next to my house. So I went for it. I got a good deal on the HDD so not complaining :)

Associate
Seriously thinking about getting one of the microservers especially as the cashback finishes at the end of this month. A couple of questions if I may,

1. Thinking of pulling the 1.5tb drive out of my samsung storry station, anyone see any issues with this?

2. Do the drives need a format before they can be used?

cheers

make that three questions

3. Anyone had issues using the WD SMP with the server?

thanks again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I removed a 2tb drive from a WD MyBook and put it in the server, I did have to format it though. Copied the data over to a new 2tb first, and then installed and formatted it.

No idea what a storry station is, or WD SMP

Back
Top Bottom