Spec me a new android phone

Associate
I lost my note 4 last night.

So ideally this is what I need, but I'm completely out of the loop with phones.

1) Removable battery
2) SD card slot
3) Decent screen/camera

The first two are more important than the last, although would be nice to get all three.

Associate
I was after a phone with the very same requirements a few weeks ago, and it was frustrating. The removable battery is unfortunately a dying breed. Pretty much your only options for a current phone with those 3 are the LG G5, V20 (if you can/want to import one), or maybe a V10. Your other option is to go for a mid range phone, as I think some of the Samsung J3s and such have a removable battery.

I was holding out for a V20, but the geniuses at LG decided that with the Note 7 fiasco, they don't want to capitalise on great opportunity, but instead are not releasing it in the UK, which is beyond me. In the end I did end up just getting a Note 4.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys, still debating which one I should get since I'll be stuck with it for awhile. I had a long look at the LG G5 but im really disappointed with how little modular parts their are for it.

Associate
It's an aluminium unibody phone with a non-removable battery. I don't get people who post when they are unsure of something, you don't have to answer every thread if you don't know! :D

I don't know why you just couldn't of said it doesn't have a removable battery. Obviously these sort of things bother you, which is unfortunate.

Associate
Just put off interest why the requirement for removable battery?

Heavy user and want to swap battery?

Or are you worried that the battery will not last and being able to replace it all make the phone live longer?

I have a USB power brick that I use to charge my phone.
I am worried that the built in battery will eventually die but phones don't seem built to last more than 2 years anyway.

A guy at work bought a wileyfox phone that had removable battery and SD card. Camera wasn't great but screen looked OK to me (is not an expensive phone)

Associate
With things like 3000mAh+ batteries and fast/quick/dash charging I can't see why anyone would want a removable battery.

For one, batteries being charged everyday/every other day will no doubt lose a lot of their capacity after about 2 years. All that fast/quick/etc charging introduces heat, which is a sure fire way to degrade a battery even quicker. Plus the daily plugging/unplugging in the USB port can mean that can become damaged too.

Plus no matter how quick all that quick charging technology is, (a) you need to carry around a charger/cable/powerbank/some combination of the 3 with you, and (b) it's still not quicker than spending less than a minute changing to go from dead to 100%.

But it depends on the type of person you are. If you are the type to change your phone regularly, you are probably less bothered by it. I tend to just stick with something till it is unusable or very obsolete, and even if it's the latter I might keep it round just as a spare.

Back
Top Bottom