Spec me a new build

Soldato
I should start by saying that I am replacing my now dead PC with new components - thread is this way: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/black-screen-sometimes-when-posting.18783535/

My old spec was bought entirely from OcUK and was as follows:
Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
CP-476-IN

TeamGroup Vulcan GOLD 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLYED316G1600HC9DC01)
MY-048-TG

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
MB-635-AS

SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black
CA-003-SF

Raijintek Themis Direct Contact CPU Cooler
HS-001-RT

I don't want to spend much more than £400 - ideally that is my maximum budget. For that, I'd like a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and HSF.

I don't want to overclock so a non-K CPU would be fine for me. For me, stability, reliability and longevity is more important.

My ideal spec would be an i5 with 16GB of RAM. A good reliable Asus motherboard would be brilliant too.

I plan to order tomorrow, so I hope people can help me out at such short notice.

Soldato
OP
I've been looking at Asus motherboards. Is H270 a good replacement for my Z97? Does anybody have any thoughts on which motherboard to go for?

This is my current basket which I am leaning towards - I'd be grateful for any feedback.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £499.43
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
Soldato
Agreed.

Can even fit 1600X for same price. I think you have free shipping, Darael?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £510.42
(includes shipping: £10.50)

The cooler is new and interesting, with zero RPM mode and two fans: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/arctic-freezer-33-plus-co,33849.html

Soldato
OP
I've always been an Intel person, rightly or wrong so. It's what I know and trust.

Should I use 4 sticks of DDR4 for quad-channel, or doesn't it work like that? I looked up reviews for single/dual channel comparisons and the difference is noticeable. I just wondered if there might be any more of an increase by upping the number of RAM sticks?

My main reservation with my spec is the CPU cooler. While I'd like a 120mm fan for the silence, I'm not overly keen on massive heatsinks in case they flex the motherboard. Especially when LGA 1150/1151 processors are known to sometimes be fussy with pin contacts.

I've had a restless night, so I hope this post makes sense. I plan to place my order by midday today.

Soldato
Fair enough.

Have you considered an Asus Z270 TUF motherboard with 5 year warranty? You mentioned stability/longevity.

I priced up an i5-7500, Z270 TUF, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz and a Raijintek Themis and it came to £470. With an i5-7600 it was £498.

The Themis seems to be one of the lightest 120mm fan coolers.

Soldato
OP
To be absolutely honest, it was down to price at the end of the day. I didn't expect the price to come to more than £400 before looking at parts, so I got a hell of a shock to see how things have increased.

I was going to get to the i5 7400, but it the stock was showing as due that day. Not only that, but the performance was marginally better than my i5 4570 - at least by choosing the i5 7500 I will see some sort of a speed bump.

Associate
To be absolutely honest, it was down to price at the end of the day. I didn't expect the price to come to more than £400 before looking at parts, so I got a hell of a shock to see how things have increased.

I was looking at how prices of parts have increased the other day with my mate. The prices of parts have taken a healthy jump.
We bought 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz in May last year for £75 from OcUK yet the same ram is now £136.. same as the SSD's they have jumped in price.
I was £65.99 for my Samsung 250GB 850 EVO in December 2015 the same drive is now £119.99 I may have got it in deal but surely it wasn't reduced that much..

Soldato
OP
I was looking at how prices of parts have increased the other day with my mate. The prices of parts have taken a healthy jump.
We bought 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz in May last year for £75 from OcUK yet the same ram is now £136.. same as the SSD's they have jumped in price.
I was £65.99 for my Samsung 250GB 850 EVO in December 2015 the same drive is now £119.99 I may have got it in deal but surely it wasn't reduced that much..
I completely agree - the biggest shock for me was the processor. My i5 4570 cost £152.99 in January 2015. For the equivalent CPU, an i5 7400, is £188.99. So I bit the bullet and bought the i5 7500 for £199.99. At least I might see a very slight speed increase for what I've spent today. :D

Windows surprised me today. I put my drives in another PC and after setting up my hardware and rebooting, Windows worked like it had never been touched. I was glad to be able to backup all my files and settings - or at least as I much as I could remember. I took a complete Macrium Reflect image of all the drives before even trying to load Windows, so if I've missed anything I can refer to my backup.

Anyway my order has now been placed and is shipped - which means I should get it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Associate
I completely agree - the biggest shock for me was the processor. My i5 4570 cost £152.99 in January 2015. For the equivalent CPU, an i5 7400, is £188.99. So I bit the bullet and bought the i5 7500 for £199.99. At least I might see a very slight speed increase for what I've spent today. :D

Windows surprised me today. I put my drives in another PC and after setting up my hardware and rebooting, Windows worked like it had never been touched. I was glad to be able to backup all my files and settings - or at least as I much as I could remember. I took a complete Macrium Reflect image of all the drives before even trying to load Windows, so if I've missed anything I can refer to my backup.

Anyway my order has now been placed and is shipped - which means I should get it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

yea if you're spending that much your as well to spend the extra tenner for more performance specially if you don't want to overclock

yea Windows 10 is pretty good that way. Ive heard of some folk having success in changing board and not having to buy W10 again.
I think if its linked to your Microsoft account your good. If that fails you could always try your luck with the phone activation saying the old board has died. ( your not telling any lies )

Soldato
OP
I've rudely forgotten to update this thread!

Before anything, I want to say thank you to everybody that helped me out. It's nice to have some opinions and advice when you need it most.

The built went well. I have to say I wasn't overly impression with the I/O shield. The foam wasn't quite properly aligned around the holes, meaning I had to fiddle a little before getting a good fit.

Overall the machine feels slightly nippier than the previous build and things just feel more fluid. I'm not saying my previous spec was a slouch, but I do wonder if there was an issue with the motherboard. I am in talks with Asus and hope they will request I send my motherboard for repair. Once I get a replacement or repair, I will probably sell my old parts in MM - either that, or sell it as a whole machine to somebody.

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom