Spec me a new gaming pc please.

Soldato
As the title says, I could use a hand in deciding what route to go with regards putting together or buying a new system.

It's been quite a few years since I last built a pc and it's served me well but now might be the time to let loose for once and get something special. With being out of the building game for so long I seem to have lost some of the confidence to build one in case of accidental damage so was thinking of possibly buying one outright from ocuk to save me the hassle of building it myself for once.

So, with a max budget of £2500.00 I put together this list of parts that I hope are all compatible and if assembled would make for a really good gaming pc but if there is a pre-build that would do the job just as well and save a few quid I am all for that too.

Grand Total £2,211.85

Two of the ready made systems I was considering are below.

So, for a really good gaming machine, do I source those parts and pluck up the courage to attemp a new build, change any parts for a better bang-for-buck, or go for one of the two ready made systems?

Thanks for any good advice on this and any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd make the following changes to your build:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,100.86 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

With this cooler (under £50).

List of changes:
- Downgraded CPU from KF to F (overclocking features lost).
- Downgraded motherboard from Z to B (overclocking features lost).
- Upgraded GPU from non-Ti to Ti.
- Switched the QVO to a second SN770, not a fan of the QVO (review).
- Switched case to a cheaper one with pre-installed fans.

The £50 or so saving should help go toward the build cost if you're asking OCUK to build it.

Purely from a performance POV, I think the first build (11600KF + 4070 Ti) is better value and especially at higher resolutions, the £500 extra cost for the 13600KF + 4070 Ti is not worth it. But, would I personally be keen on buying a 11th gen system? Not particularly.

Last edited:
Associate
I would counter with an AMD build like this. Includes a 7900XT with substantially more RAM better raster performance at the expense of some RT. You should decide what is more important to you and check against titles you play here HUB 7900XT vs 4070ti. Give you scope to drop in a new 8000/9000 series chip as and when you feel necessary. You could swop for the ASUS TUF ATX wifi for saving £45 with cashback without Wifi and less USB ports (4*USB 2.0, 2*3.2 Gen1 and 2*3.2 Gen 2 Type C) may be limiting.

I have not included a Case or cpu cooling option as both as personal preference. I would prefer the Phanteks up above saving £50 or even something else. I don't think those Lian Li fans extra case are great as they have very low static pressure (the ability to move air through an obstacle - something like a mesh or HDD's). The Coolermasters are, I think, a better option. Oh, I have no problem with the Corsair PSU, just giving you a different option.

Samsuns SSD is for boot drive and storage, Seagate is for additional Storage.

I would choose a good air cooler but if you prefer water, that is fine. An excellent Noctua setup won't save you much but will be more reliable and longer lasting. There are other decent options £50/£60 cheaper.

Finally, other options exist for a Windows license key. Just scout around and save an additional £80+

Assuming you go with your original choices, adding on £230, your all in will be £2115 which could conceivably drop to £2000. This allows for you to be on a new platform with a few years left in it and at least three generations of CPUS to choose from in the future as Intel is EOL. The GPU is, I think, better overall certainly from a Rasterisation POV but you decide. You could even go up to the 7900XTX for

Good luck and enjoy your build

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom